RU Ready to Farm, U. farming training program, wins national award

Rutgers beginner farmer training program, RU Ready to Farm, won a national award for its work with emerging farmers. – Photo by Rutgers.edu

RU Ready to Farm, Rutgers' beginner farmer training program, recently received an award from the National Association of County Agricultural Agents (NACAA) for its work with new farmers, according to an article from Morning AgClips.

NACAA is a nationwide organization that seeks to aid agricultural initiatives and extension programs, which allows farmers to access agricultural science research and apply that knowledge in their day-to-day work.

The RU Ready to Farm program won the NACAA's 2023 Search for Excellence, winning an accolade in the category of "Young, Beginning or Small Farmers/Ranchers."

"Our mission is to get practical, applied research information out so people can use it," said Bill Hlubik, RU Ready to Farm's program director, in a previous article from The Daily Targum. "The idea of this course is to give people an overview of the complexities of farming."

The 2016 article introduced the then-new course as a 1-credit class for students and New Brunswick locals. The article also mentioned a 3-credit option for the course that involved working in a greenhouse or on a farm.

The entire program was created in 2020 to acknowledge the necessity for farmers in the state. Topics taught in the course include business, marketing and planner skills, as well as hands-on work with fixing equipment, machinery and building confined spaces for livestock.