OLIVER: How to harness your dopamine

Column: Curiosity Corner

Andrew Huberman, a professor in the Department of Neurobiology at Stanford University School of Medicine, suggests that we must be wary of chasing temporary and short-sighted dopamine highs.  – Photo by Tamas Pap / Unsplash

Andrew Huberman, a professor in the Department of Neurobiology at Stanford University School of Medicine, asserts that dopamine is the principal arbiter of our motivation, enthusiasm, extroversion and determination. It holds paramount importance in pursuing our life's most meaningful objectives. Thus, cultivating and sustaining this vitality becomes imperative.

For those unacquainted with the intricacies of neurochemistry, let us embark on a brief primer regarding dopamine's inner workings.

Contrary to common misconception, dopamine does not merely function as a neurotransmitter, a chemical courier transmitting messages between neurons, but instead assumes the role of a neuromodulator, according to an article in Nature Reviews Neuroscience. Its influence casts a broader net as it orchestrates communication among a myriad of neurons.

This orchestration manifests in the form of altering the probability of specific neural circuits' activation or deactivation. While dopamine is commonly associated with pleasure, Huberman says its purview extends to motivation, ambition, cravings, temporal perception and physical movement.

In mammals, particularly humans, dopamine serves as a universal currency that propels us toward our aspirations. The measure of one's drive and motivation hinges on dopamine levels relative to one's recent experiences, according to Huberman's podcast.

Dopamine levels within the body are in a perpetual state of flux, according to Huberman. To dispel the myth of a standard "dopamine hit," we must understand that the dopamine surge resulting from events like savoring chocolate, encountering a beloved individual or perusing social media varies substantially. Its amplitude is contingent upon an individual's baseline dopamine level and their previous crests. Thus, there is no universal yardstick for a "hit."

Huberman says that repeatedly engaging in activities that bring joy gradually elevates the threshold for enjoyment. Consequently, the dopamine peaks that are experienced become smaller in comparison to the baseline. These baseline disparities stem primarily from an individual's past experiences rather than genetic predisposition, according to Huberman.

Dopamine levels surge in response to various stimuli, and the extent of elevation depends on the nature of the stimulus and its duration. Certain substances, such as cocaine, amphetamines and nicotine, provoke robust dopamine surges, rendering them highly addictive.

On the other hand, non-chemical experiences cause varying degrees of dopamine release because our perceptions of these encounters differ from person to person, according to Huberman. Take exercise, for example. An exercise enthusiast may derive a substantial dopamine boost, potentially doubling their usual levels, whereas someone who does not enjoy exercise may experience a much milder surge.

Embedded within our species is the primal drive to ensure survival, encompassing not only procreation but also the pursuit of sustenance and shelter. Huberman says this pursuit underpins our baseline dopamine level. Upon locating desired sustenance, dopamine levels peak before reverting to the baseline, catalyzing a desire for more of the same, in this case, nourishment.

Nonetheless, a contemporary conundrum arises. Engaging repeatedly in enjoyable activities diminishes their novelty, rendering them less stimulating, according to Huberman. While this phenomenon varies in intensity and swiftness among individuals, it is an inescapable facet of our evolutionary legacy.

So, how do we work with our bodies rather than against them so that we may still find joy in the activities we love while maintaining healthy levels of dopamine?

The answer to this question lies in the pleasure-pain balance.

When we savor a piece of chocolate, a fleeting dopamine peak is followed by a dip below our initial dopamine level, according to Huberman. The body interprets this dip as a yearning for more of that pleasurable experience, thereby assigning discomfort to the absence of dopamine.

This underpins the mechanism of addiction, whether to substances like cocaine or amphetamines or to habitual activities like gaming, studying or exercise. The insatiable pursuit of these experiences can perpetually lower our baseline dopamine.

But this challenge is not a call to abstain from enjoyable activities. Rather, it encourages us to take into account the relationship between our peaks and baselines.

The key to experiencing peaks without diminishing our baseline resides in intermittent scheduling of dopamine release, according to Huberman. This means stopping oneself from constantly seeking substantial dopamine surges. It mirrors the intermittent reward schedules that entice gamblers toward casinos or keep individuals glued to social media.

Vigilance regarding our dopamine levels is imperative. It is crucial to note that adherence to a fixed schedule can backfire as the body adapts.

Consider this rule of thumb that Huberman suggests: before a gym session, flip a coin. If it lands on heads, accompany your workout with your favorite music. If it lands on tails, leave your phone in the locker room. This approach serves both short-term gains and long-term motivation.

By being aware of dopamine peaks in activities we cherish, we can nurture our dopamine equilibrium. While this is a challenging feat, we possess the capacity to fine-tune our dopamine levels, fostering greater motivation and satisfaction in life.

Jamie Oliver is a sophomore in the School of Arts and Sciences majoring in cognitive science and linguistics. Her column, "Curiosity Corner," runs on alternate Sundays.

*Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day's publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.