'No weaknesses in this team': Schiano on Michigan ahead of Saturday's matchup

Head coach Greg Schiano is looking to bring the Rutgers football team to 4-0 with a win over Michigan. – Photo by Leigh Lustig

Rutgers football head coach Greg Schiano and junior defensive lineman Aaron Lewis spoke to the media ahead of the Saturday matchup between Michigan and the Scarlet Knights (3-0, 1-0) in Ann Arbor, Michigan.

Schiano began his conference by complimenting the Wolverines' (3-0, 0-0) program. He stated that the game this weekend will be a great challenge as he believes that No. 2 Michigan could easily be ranked first in the nation.

"They're that good, and there's absolutely no weaknesses in this team," Schiano said.

In Schiano's overview of the Wolverines offense, he highlighted the team's talented offensive line and running backs.

"They have two running backs that are as good as anybody is in the country," Schiano said.

Schiano also emphasized the talent of Michigan's quarterback, J.J. McCarthy. McCarthy completed 8 of 13 passes for 143 yards and two touchdowns against Bowling Green last weekend, but he also threw three interceptions.

"They have an experienced quarterback who can both run and throw accurately (and) deep," Schiano said. "He's a future first-rounder at quarterback."

On the Wolverines' defense, Schiano confidently stated that they may have the best defensive line in the nation.

"Their defensive line is maybe the best in the country — big, physical, deep. Linebackers run and hit, secondary covers well," Schiano said. "(For) kicking game, they have specialists that are arguably the best in the nation."

Michigan will be the first-ranked opponent Rutgers will face this season, and a trip to "The Big House" will always present a challenge. Despite this, Schiano believes that the Knights are ready for the challenge.

"One thing about our guys is they work so hard, and they're so focused that given the opportunity, they're going to be ready to go," Schiano said.

During last week's win against Virginia Tech, Lewis shined, making eight tackles and one sack. The former Wolverine touched on how the defensive line has been preparing for Michigan's high-powered offense.

"We've really worked hard, and we've really put in the pain this week," Lewis said. "We've been talked to by coach Schiano telling us to 'chop' the moment, and that's something that we are going to (take) from the things that we are doing in practice to the field."

Lewis also talked about handling the pressure and noise that an environment away from home can present, as well as some of the techniques the team uses to remain calm and to keep their emotions steady. One of the techniques Lewis uses is the four-corner breathing technique.

"It's something that we really take pride in here," Lewis said. "Knowing that, plus having your preparation, I feel like if you're prepared for what you're doing, you won't come in nervous, and that makes you ready for the games."

Rutgers' game against the Wolverines will kick off at noon on Saturday in Ann Arbor, Michigan, and will be broadcast on the Big Ten Network, 88.7 WRSU-FM and WFAN.

"I like this team," Schiano said. "I like their mindset, I like the leadership. Let's go play it."

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on X.