No. 7 Rutgers field hockey to host No. 8 Maryland at home

The Rutgers field hockey team will look to improve to 10-0 on the season with a win over Maryland this week. – Photo by Ben Solomon / ScarletKnights.com

The Rutgers field hockey team is looking to continue its hot start to the season. The Scarlet Knights (9-0, 1-0) will host Maryland on Thursday for their second in-conference battle of the 2023 season.

No. 7 Rutgers, who remains in the top echelon of the national coaches poll, has been showcasing nothing but dominance this season. The program is undefeated through nine games, with four of those victories being shutouts.

This team has shown incredible determination and has built a record-setting season.

Junior midfielder Guillermina Causarano is coming off of a fantastic game. The 4-2 win over UMass included a hat trick from Causarano, marking the second hat trick from the Knights this season. The first came from sophomore back Puck Winter in a 6-2 win against Villanova.

Rutgers' offense isn't the only thing making headlines. Junior goaltender Sophia Howard has been spectacular all season. Howard sits among the top 10 nationally in her .816 save percentage and her .717 goals-against average.

The Knights are back home on Thursday after their ranked road win against No. 18 UMass on Sunday. They will host the Terrapins (7-2, 0-0) for another tough ranked conference matchup.

This game against Rutgers will be the first Big Ten matchup for No. 8 Maryland this season. 

The Terrapins are coming off of a ranked road win of their own, taking down No. 6 Virginia in a 2-1 victory last Monday.

Hope Rose leads the Maryland offense with a whopping 19 points. Rose has 9 goals in nine games, leading the team.

Rose has been the Terrapins' most impressive offensive talent this season, even collecting a hat trick early in the season against Miami.

Paige Kieft has been Maryland's typical starter in net. Kieft has started six games this season and sports 16 saves. In her seven total appearances, she has accumulated a .696 save percentage and a 1.73 goals-against-average.

Thursday's matchup is a huge game for both the Terrapins and the Knights, as they will both be taking on an in-conference, nationally-ranked competitor.

A victory on Thursday would be big for Rutgers as it would keep an undefeated record and earn a ranked conference win on home turf. 

The Knights and Maryland will face off on Thursday at 3 p.m. at the Bauer Track and Field Complex in Piscataway. A live score recap will be available during the game, and the match will be broadcast on Big Ten Plus.

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on X. 

To view more of Allison Girardi's work, follow @allisongirardii on X.