No. 10 field hockey stays undefeated, makes history against No. 12 Penn State, La Salle

Junior midfielder Guillermina Causarano scored the game-winning goal in overtime against Penn State.  – Photo by ScarletKnights.com

The Rutgers field hockey team impressed this week, staying undefeated once again. The Scarlet Knights (8-0, 1-0) have surpassed another set of games without losing a single match this season.

The team kept its record squeaky clean, even after taking on a skilled Penn State team on Friday.

Through the first half, No. 10 Rutgers and the Nittany Lions (5-3, 0-1) score stayed at a stalemate. The two teams practically matched each other in shots, but neither could net a go-ahead goal.

The second half was more challenging for the Knights, as they were outshot 7-4 in the final 30 minutes of regulation. Redshirt junior goalkeeper Sophia Howard stood tall in the net for Rutgers, making seven total saves and keeping her team in it.

With the score 0-0 at the end of regulation, the match was headed to overtime. The first overtime had great chances for both teams, but no one could find the back of the net.

Finally, in double overtime, junior midfielder Guillermina Causarano netted the game-winner for the Knights off of a rebounded shot.

Rutgers' win over No. 12 Penn State marks its best start to a season in program history. The Knights are now tied for the second most road wins in a season in program history.

Getting off to a 1-0 conference start is also huge for the program, as it is its fourth straight year of doing so.

Coming off of their big win, the Knights were finally headed home for the first time this season. They hosted La Salle at the Bauer Track and Field Hockey Complex on Livingston campus. While the matchup may not have been as daunting, the game was important to set the tone on home turf.

Rutgers controlled the pace of tonight's game from the start, outshooting the Explorers (5-3, 1-0) 15-7.

The Knights struck first with a goal from graduate student midfielder Carly Snarski early in the second period. Rutgers stacked on another goal for insurance in the final frame. Redshirt sophomore back Puck Winter netted her shot on a corner to solidify the win.

With the 2-0 win tonight, Howard collected her second straight shutout and her fourth of the season.

The Knights have already matched their total wins from last season. The team already has three ranked wins under its belt.

Rutgers is back in action next week, visiting No. 18 UMass next Sunday for a noon matchup. The game will be available to watch on ESPN+.

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on X. 

To view more of Allison Girardi's work, follow @allisongirardii on X.