From Gong Cha to Utepia, check out these boba spots near Rutgers

Gong Cha, Utepia and Akihi Bubble Tea are just a few great boba spots on this list! – Photo by @GongChaTea / X.com

Of everything college has introduced me to, I have to say the most useful is the wonderful world of bubble tea. No college student these days is complete without a healthy boba addiction, but where are the best places to get tapioca tea near campus?

In my three years living at Rutgers, I have found a few favorites that never let me down. Whether you’re new to campus, looking for your new go-to place or new to boba in general, you have to try a few of these locations.

Gong Cha

Gong Cha is my tried and true favorite. Whenever I see one of the locations on or off campus, I can’t fight the urge to stop in. Located on George Street just off of the College Avenue campus, Gong Cha offers an accessible boba spot for students and locals alike. 

Considering this is a famous chain, I probably don’t have to explain the menu. But of everything the shop offers, I recommend getting the strawberry green tea from the creative series with black pearls and coconut jelly. This used to be a menu item that I’ve altered slightly by adding black pearls, and it’s absolutely fabulous. With the addition of coconut and strawberry, it’s like a fruity mocktail in bubble tea form. 

The cell reception and wifi in the back of the store are a little spotty, so if you’re looking to sip boba while you study, I recommend picking it up from Gong Cha and then taking it to the Rutgers Barnes and Noble on the College Avenue campus.

Hoja Asian Fusion

Most boba spots for Rutgers students are located on or around the College Avenue campus, which is great if that’s your home base, but not so great if you’re anywhere else. 

But Hoja Asian Fusion in the Plaza at Livingston campus has plenty of boba options from various milk to fruit teas. It also has a delicious menu if you’re interested in stopping in for a meal as well.

The mango fruit tea and strawberry milk tea are a few of my favorites. While the boba menu is a bit simpler than other places on this list, if you’re just in the mood for classic bubble tea, this stop is perfect.

Utepia

One of the most famous tea shops on the list (at least on a local level), Utepia, is also the one with which I’m the least familiar. Utepia is a boba shop on Bayard Street that offers Taiwanese teas, fruit slush teas and fruit smoothies. 

I’ve sampled the Thai milk tea and the Fruits Four Season Passion Tea, the latter of which was stuffed with both fruit juices and actual fruits. While the Fruits Four Season passion tea was delicious, it was a little light on the actual tea considering everything it had in it, so I recommend ordering this one with less ice.

Noodle Gourmet

Located on Easton Avenue just behind the College Avenue campus, Noodle Gourmet is perfect for a quick in-between-classes bite or boba! They have quite an extensive drink menu considering they double as a food place. 

Whether you like classic milk teas, fruit teas, ice cream teas or slushies, Noodle Gourmet has got you covered. It also offers a wide collection of toppings so you can essentially try a new combination of tea and toppings every day till graduation, and you probably wouldn’t be able to experience the whole menu.

I recommend you study the menu ahead of time so you’re not standing in line, wide-eyed and overwhelmed like I was the first time I went in. The tea tends to lean a little sweet here, so if you’re a boba aficionado, you might want to ask for less sugar.

Akihi Bubble Tea

Though there are other locations, Akihi Bubble Tea is new to Rutgers. The shop recently replaced Bubbleology at The Yard @ College Avenue, which was maybe for the best as that chain was infamous among Rutgers students for its mediocrity. 

Although I’ve only been once, it seems Akihi is a major upgrade. The swanky seating area is definitely my favorite of the other shops on this list, and it's currently offering a first come first serve promotion of 200 free bubble teas until September 21.

I tried and loved the drink “Pinky,” which is essentially like a Pink Drink Starbucks Refresher with boba in it. I also tried a bit of the fresh pineapple mango tea which was a great tropical-tasting fruit tea option. It also has a small food selection which makes it a perfect grab-and-go food spot if you get hungry in between classes.  Considering it’s new and in a prime location, it might be a little busy, but you can always order online!

In recent years, bubble tea has been growing in popularity, especially among college students. While there are plenty of other options in the area, if you’re lost and in need of a new boba fix, you can’t go wrong with my list.