Atrium to replace Brower Commons on College Avenue campus

The College Avenue campus will feature a new student dining option to replace Brower Commons. – Photo by Rutgers University Student Centers and Activities / Facebook

The Atrium, a new student dining space, will open inside the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus this week, replacing Brower Commons.

Michael Abdallah, director of marketing and communications for the Division of Student Affairs, said the move to open the Atrium in place of Brower Commons is part of the Rutgers 2030 Master Plan for the College Avenue campus.

He said the Atrium will include five cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, Asian, Tex-Mex and American, offered by Pi Pizza, Mezze, Scarlet Ginger, Three Chilies and King's Hawaiian, respectively. These options were finalized using data regarding which foods were most popular among students who purchased foods with meal swipes in recent years.

"Students will be able to order food from all five eateries via kiosks just outside the Atrium," said Abdallah. "The Atrium will operate as an expanded retail operation versus the traditional open all-you-care-to-eat service."

The Atrium is funded by Rutgers Dining Services and King's Hawaiian, who provided the funds for its portion of the new space.

The Atrium will open on August 30 and operate seven days a week. It will accept meal swipes, cash, credit cards, RU Express and mobile payments.

Editor's Note: A previous version of this article stated that Brower Commons was closed temporarily for the 2023-2024 academic year and that King's Hawaiian provided funds for its logo to be displayed at the Atrium.