SOHAIL: Students need to practice art of 'forgetting'

Column: Nohman's Nuances

There are many mental health benefits to simply sitting in the grass and actively trying to forget your worries — students should give it a shot.
 – Photo by Flow Clark / Unsplash

After my 3 p.m. class ended on Cook campus, my poorly planned schedule gave me an hour of free time before I needed to head over to Livingston campus. I left the Loree Classroom building and was greeted with perfect weather and clear skies overlooking the Passion Puddle on Douglass campus.

Instead of rushing to catch the last RexL bus for another 30 minutes, I laid my backpack down and spent an hour resting and "forgetting" on the grass. With spring in full swing and the weather finally permitting short-sleeved shirts, it is the perfect time to use the transitionary period between seasons as a stress reliever.

As being a college student during the winter semester typically necessitates staying indoors and balancing a strenuous workload, it is vital to go outside and breathe the fresh air for at least a few hours each day.

To treat yourself, you should take some time to lie down on the grass and — briefly but completely — "forget" your troubles. Doing so will decrease psychological stress and improve memory.

For a long time, scientists have seen forgetting as a passive process with no useful purpose. Only a decade ago, they discovered that there were separate bodies within neurons tasked with filtering unnecessary and hurtful memories and retaining relevant information for long periods.

Scott Small, director of the Alzheimer's Disease Research Center, found that routine memory lapses are integral for nurturing a healthy brain. These help us be more creative, think more clearly and prioritize important tasks. In addition, intentionally forgetting your troubles helps remedy painful memories and can even lessen the effects of post-traumatic stress disorder.

Consistently engaging with life and your surroundings can further supplement this relief. Studies repeatedly demonstrate that being among nature reduces anxiety, stress and time spent in hospitals, lowers heart rates and increases directed attention.

Plus, taking a break from artificial light can boost serotonin levels and regulate the body’s circadian rhythms, leading to better sleep quality and increased energy levels.

The School of Environmental and Biological Sciences even offers a Certificate in Horticultural Therapy, where "plants, gardens and greenhouses as tools for treating mental, physical and social disabilities."

While lying on grass outdoors can be a solo pastime, it can also be a great way to connect with others. Sharing a picnic or playing games on the grass helps strengthen bonds with friends, family and loved ones.

Forming a nonmaterial connection with nature has been shown to enhance a person's well-being. If you are not too keen on simply sitting on the grass, grab a towel and try nature-based meditation, which increases the release of dopamine and oxytocin and subsequently strengthens energy levels and the capacity to "forget."

Breathing fresh air and listening to the sounds of nature have calming effects on the mind and body and help to reduce stress levels. With the rise of technology and urbanization — especially on college campuses — many students have become deprived of the sensory experiences provided by the natural world, which have been proven to spark creativity. 

There are dozens of places on campus where you can lie on the grass or practice nature meditation, but among my favorites are the grounds surrounding the Passion Puddle on Douglass campus, the Livingston turfgrass and the Ecological Preserve on Livingston campus. I also enjoy visiting New Brunswick Deiner Park and The Yard @ College Avenue for this purpose.

Rutgers groundskeepers work hard to maintain the aesthetics that we, as students, sometimes take for granted.

It is imperative to make use of these few weeks when the weather is optimal. Also — if you are not a fan of insects like I am — insects will soon resurface from this long winter. So take advantage of the period when you can lie on the grass without worrying about seeing bugs when you reopen your eyes.

As Rutgers students, our daily lives are constantly bombarded with work, social media and news that can easily cause anxiety and stress. Simply by taking a break, sitting on the grass and forgetting about our troubles briefly, we can all experience a sense of peace and tranquility. Just make sure to check the ground for dog poop before doing so.

​​Nohman Sohail is a first-year in the School of Arts and Sciences majoring in economics and political science. His column, "Nohman's Nuances," runs on alternate Thursdays.

*Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.