Rutgers men's lacrosse returns home to take on Michigan

Senior attacker Brian Cameron hopes to return to play in full health and contribute goals for the Rutgers men's lacrosse team when it faces off against Michigan on Friday. – Photo by ScarletKnights.com

The Rutgers men's lacrosse team will look to snap its two-game losing streak on Friday night against Michigan. The Scarlet Knights (7-3, 0-2) currently have a record of 7-1 for out-of-conference play and will look for their first Big Ten win of the season against the Wolverines (5-4, 1-1).

No. 16 Michigan is coming off its best win of the season, having defeated then-No. 2 Maryland on Saturday. It was the Wolverines' highest-ranked win in program history and their first-ever win over the Terrapins (6-3, 1-1).

No. 12 Rutgers is coming into this matchup after two close losses to Ohio State and Johns Hopkins. With only three more regular games left before the Big Ten Tournament play begins, the Knights will look to pick up positive momentum against Michigan.

This will be the 10th all-time meeting between Rutgers and the Wolverines. Historically, the Knights have had success against Michigan, with an 8-1 all-time record.

For Rutgers to reach its full offensive potential, the team will need senior attacker Brian Cameron to return to the lineup fully healthy. Cameron did not play in 2 of the Knights' last 3 games, and in their last game, he only saw the field in extra-man opportunities.

With Cameron's full power in the lineup, Rutgers has averaged approximately 15 goals per game. In the last three games with him either not playing or playing in a limited capacity, the Knights have only averaged approximately 11 goals per game.

The Rutgers goalkeeping battle will be something to keep an eye on in its game against the Wolverines. Against the Blue Jays (9-3, 2-0), senior goalkeeper Kyle Mullin was benched after the first period of play, with head coach Brian Brecht electing to go with senior goalkeeper Anthony Palma for the remainder of the game.

Mullin has started all 10 games between the pipes, with Palma only playing in four games this season. Against Michigan, Brecht may choose to have Mullin start again and only make a switch if he performs poorly or decide to shake things up and give Palma his first start of the season.

This matchup will be the first game at SHI Stadium on Busch campus since the Knights' 14-13 win over Princeton on March 11. Rutgers is currently undefeated at home, boasting a 6-0 record. The Knights will look to preserve this standing against the Wolverines.

The game will also serve as the program's Title IX celebration.

Face-off is scheduled for 6 p.m. on Friday, and the game will be broadcasted on ESPNU.

For more updates on the Rutgers men's lacrosse game, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.