Rutgers men's basketball lands 3-star 2024 prospect Lathan Sommerville

and 
2024 three-star center Lathan Sommerville announced his commitment to the Rutgers men's basketball team this morning, giving the Scarlet Knights the third-best 2024 recruiting class in the nation. – Photo by @TiptonEdits / Twitter

The Rutgers men’s basketball team landed 2024 three-star center Lathan Sommerville this morning. Somerville is the third commit in the vaunted 2024 recruiting class, and he joins five-star forward Airious Bailey and four-star guard Dellquan Warren.

Somerville is a 6-foot-9 center hailing from Illinois. He is currently a junior playing basketball at The Factory Prep High School in Atlanta, Georgia. He has picked up three-star ratings from both 247Sports and On3 while garnering four-star status from Rivals.

While it is hard to project the Scarlet Knights' positional needs in 2024, Sommerville was head coach Steve Pikiell's priority center recruit in the 2024 class. His commitment gives Rutgers the third-best 2024 recruiting class in the nation as of writing.

Prior to committing to the Knights, Sommerville received numerous offers from other schools. Seton Hall, Virginia Tech, Villanova, Xavier, Missouri and Bradley are among some of the top teams who offered the center a scholarship. These six schools, in addition to Rutgers, were all included in Sommerville's final seven schools list that he had narrowed down to before his commitment to the Knights.

"I chose Rutgers because there are coaches I know and feel I can trust in the program," Somerville said. "They showed that they want me and also need me to come in as a freshman and make an impact."

Sommerville comes from a basketball family, as his father, Marcellus Sommerville, played professional basketball overseas for 13 years.

Sommerville already has advanced footwork and touch-down low for a junior in high school. He has also showcased his commitment to grabbing rebounds and playing tough defense in the paint while playing for The Skill Factory Prep High School.

"I’m versatile," Sommerville said. "I can score inside and outside. I see the court well. I have a nice touch, great footwork and I’m a solid rebounder and defender."

While Somerville has shown flashes of being a playmaker and being able to shoot from beyond the arc, these are skills he will look to improve on during his senior season in high school.

"Before I get there, I’m working on becoming an even better playmaker and a better stretch big," Sommerville said.

Now holding commitments from Sommerville, Bailey and Warren in the 2024 class, the focus for Pikiell and his staff shifts to 2024 five-star recruit Dylan Harper. 

The 2024 class is shaping up to be historic for the Knights, and Sommerville will be a major piece in the class.

"I can’t wait to join the family," Somerville said. "Let’s make history!"

For more updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.