RUPD investigates armed cyclist robberies in New Brunswick

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) is investigating three armed robberies that occurred near downtown New Brunswick yesterday afternoon.  – Photo by Uriel Isaacs

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) and the New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) are both currently investigating three different robberies that occurred around the College Avenue campus and in downtown New Brunswick, according to a University-wide email.

All three robberies occurred yesterday between 3:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m., and the offender is believed to be the same for all three incidents.

During the first incident, the perpetrator approached the victim, an individual affiliated with Rutgers, on a bicycle and attempted to remove a valuable article from her but failed. This took place around the intersection of George Street and Hamilton Street.

The second attempted robbery took place adjacent to the New Street and Kirkpatrick Street intersection. The victim reported that the male bicyclist removed a valuable item from them.

The final incident consisted of the male bicyclist using a sharp weapon to rob a victim, unaffiliated with the University, who was walking near the intersection of Louis Street and Hamilton Street. 

All three victims did not sustain any severe injuries and refused medical attention.

The RUPD and the NBPD ask that anyone with information or who was near the area during the incidents contact the departments. They also ask that people remain aware of their surroundings at all times.