NBPD completes investigation on aggravated assault near New Brunswick Station

The New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) investigated an assault that occurred near the New Brunswick Station. – Photo by Uriel Isaacs

The New Brunswick Police Department (NBPD) investigated an aggravated assault that occurred at approximately 9:20 p.m. on Wednesday night, according to a University-wide email alert.

The assault took place near the New Brunswick Station in an area between Easton Avenue and Somerset Street. During the incident, a male individual approached the victim and proceeded to physically accost him.

The perpetrator used his hands, and eventually a sharp object, to attack the victim. After the perpetrator fled the location, the victim, who is not affiliated with the University, was transported to a hospital to be treated for non-fatal injuries.

An updated advisory was shared with the University community last night, announcing that investigators have identified and arrested a suspect, Tykeem Green.

Green, who is not affiliated with the University, has been charged with aggravated assault and unlawful weapon possession.

The Rutgers University Police Department reminds the University community to remain proactive and aware while moving around the campus at night and to report suspicious activity to law enforcement immediately.