Murphy announces website to connect transgender, non-binary people with resources

On Friday, the International Transgender Day of Visibility, Gov. Phil Murphy's (D-N.J.) administration released a website to provide information on resources for transgender and non-binary people. – Photo by Nj.gov

On Friday, Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) and chief innovation officer Beth Simone Noveck announced Transgender.NJ.gov, a new website that compiles information on various resources for transgender and non-binary individuals in New Jersey, according to a press release.

The website will specifically help those looking to change their name, obtain legal aid and access health care services. The site is currently still in developmental stages and will be updated frequently.

Murphy said he wants New Jersey to set a precedent for providing accessible care to LGBTQ+ individuals, according to the release.

"Transgender.NJ.gov is a critical step to making information more transparent and easier to access while improving the delivery of services to this community that deserves full and equal treatment and protection," he said.

Murphy and Noveck announced the website's release on the International Transgender Day of Visibility, a day that is intended to recognize and uplift transgender and non-binary voices.

On campus, the Rutgers Center for Social Justice Education and LBGT Communities offers resources for transgender Rutgers students that want to change their name or find medical assistance.