Rutgers softball struggles against UCF, bounces back in Rutgers tournament

Graduate Student pitcher Jaden Vickers pitched nine combined innings and only allowed 2 earned runs to help the Rutgers softball team go 5-0 in the Rutgers tournament – Photo by Rich Graeslle / ScarletKnights.com

The Rutgers softball team had a busy week, facing off against UCF in Orlando, Florida, on Tuesday and then traveling back home to participate in the Rutgers Tournament over the weekend. Though the Scarlet Knights (23-10, 0-0) struggled against the Knights (18-16, 0-0), the team bounced back with a strong performance in the Rutgers Tournament.

UCF swept Rutgers in the doubleheader on Tuesday. The Scarlet Knights struggled to score runs, and only scored 1 total run out of both games. Rutgers was shut out in the first game and lost 3-0. In the second game of the doubleheader, the Scarlet Knights were able to score 1 run, but it was not enough, as they lost 5-1.

Freshman pitcher Raimy Gambsy served in the circle for the duration of the first game. The Knights got eight hits and scored all 3 runs off of Gamsby. Rutgers was only able to get two hits.

Junior shortstop Kyleigh Sand scored the only run for the Scarlet Knights in the second game off of a wild pitch. After trailing by 1 run, UCF scored 3 runs in the third inning and 2 in the fifth inning to win the game by 4.

Despite being swept, Rutgers was able to play well at home in the Rutgers Tournament over the weekend.

The Scarlet Knights defeated Saint Peter’s by a score of 8-1 on Friday. Rutgers got off to a fast start, bringing home 3 runs in the bottom of the first inning.

Senior infielder Payton Lincavage led the Scarlet Knights, scoring 3 runs and one run batted in. Junior pitcher Morgan Smith homered during the bottom of the fifth inning to bring home 3 more runs.

Later on Friday, the Scarlet Knights met up with Iona. Rutgers defeated the Gaels (6-14-1, 0-0) by a score of 4-0

With the Scarlet Knights up 2-0, junior utility Kobie Hura homered to left field to bring home 2 runs and put the game out of reach.  

Graduate student pitcher Jaden Vickers started the game and pitched five shutout innings in the win. 

Rutgers faced off against Iona again on Saturday. The Scarlet Knight got a convincing 9-1 victory in their third game of the tournament.

The Gaels started off the scoring with a home run, but Rutgers quickly responded as senior outfielder Taylor Fawcett homered down left field to tie the game. From there, the Scarlet Knights took control, scoring 8 straight runs.

Rutgers faced the Peacocks (13-6, 0-0) for a second time on Saturday. The Scarlet Knights got the 11-3 victory. Smith and Gamsby both served in the circle for three innings, allowing Saint Peter’s to get nine hits and score 3 runs.

Freshman pitcher Ryann Orange led Rutgers with three hits.

On Sunday morning, the Scarlet Knights grabbed a 9-1 victory against UMass-Lowell. 

Senior catcher Katie Wingert and fifth-year senior utility Taylor Lane both hit a home run against the Riverhawks (8-12-1, 0-0).

Rutgers concluded its weekend tournament against Holy Cross, winning by a score of 8-5. The game against the Crusaders (5-14, 0-0) was the most competitive game for the Scarlet Knights in the Rutgers Tournament.

Hura had her second home run of the tournament during the game. Vickers pitched for four innings, allowing only two earned runs.

Rutgers will start its Big Ten matchups this weekend. The Scarlet Knights will meet up with Illinois to play three games against the Fighting Illini (17-9, 0-0). The first game will begin at 6 p.m. on Friday and will be broadcasted on the Big Ten Network.

For more updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.