Put your film bro cap on — watch these Oscar-nominated movies before they win

Austin Butler has been nominated for his performance in "Elvis," one of the many amazing films you should watch before the Oscars on Sunday. – Photo by @bazluhrmann / Twitter

Cinema's biggest night, the 95th annual Oscars, will take place on Sunday at 8:00 p.m., featuring performances, exceptional speeches and heartfelt moments.

But there are so many different movies to watch, and if you aren't actively involved in the film world, it can be difficult to determine which one is your favorite. Use this article as a guide to enrich your cinematic knowledge and learn some talking points for after the ceremony.

"Everything Everywhere All at Once"

This movie has a runtime of 139 minutes, and it's certainly not an easy watch. But it is extremely rewarding, and you'll experience all the emotions on the spectrum while watching this bizarre, heartfelt and extremely well-written film.

It follows a mother, Evelyn Quan Wang (Michelle Yeoh), her husband, Waymond (Ke Hay Quan) and her daughter Joy (Stephanie Hsu), through a multidimensional journey, which is the most I can say without spoiling the plot.

The film starts out relatively blasé, with Joy facing trouble integrating her girlfriend into the family and Waymond filing for divorce papers. Things move at lightning speed once Evelyn has a meeting with IRS auditor, Deirdre Beaubeirdre (Jamie Lee Curtis).

This is truly a film you have to go into blind, as the script is tightly packed, and the surprises add a lot to the experience. Despite every wacky moment that surpasses the last, the film never once felt crowded or oversaturated.

"Everything Everywhere All At Once" hits particularly deep for Asian Americans, with many of my friends stating that it captured what many films fail to: How people can heal from intergenerational trauma.

"Puss in Boots: The Last Wish"

This selection is a bit biased as I previously wrote a review on how much I adored this movie. But among the films on this list, it is one of the more feel-good fun options where you don't have to expend a ton of brain power while watching it.

It provides laughs, profound messages and excellent animation in a perfectly packaged 102-minute runtime. The movie is marketed toward children but provides plenty of fun for adults as well.

Each villain is compelling, and the unique fantasy elements make the universe immersive. It's one of the best things the "Shrek" cinematic universe has to offer and one of the best movies nominated.

"The Elephant Whisperers"

Making her directorial debut, Kartiki Gonsalves' documentary "The Elephant Whisperers," set in Tamil Nadu, India, follows an Indigenous couple named Bommam and Bellie as they care for a baby elephant named Raghu.

Gonsalves took five years to make this film, following the couple and the elephants throughout their entire journey. "The Elephant Whisperers" highlights the natural beauty of Tamil Nadu by using natural lighting, capturing several shots of gorgeous animals and paying special attention to the couple's relationship with the environment. 

"An Ostrich Told Me the World Is Fake and I Think I Believe It"

I will admit that I only watched this short, stop-motion animated film for the absurd title. After watching it, though, I was thoroughly impressed by the meta-comedy animated by Lachlan Pendragon.

The film reminded me of one of my favorite games, "The Stanley Parable," due to its existential themes and the ability to make something absurd in a mundane setting.

The plot follows Neil, an office worker failing to sell toasters, who gets threatened with termination by his boss. Neil begins to experience elements of the world around him being fake, and he meets an ostrich who confirms the world is indeed a "sham."

Stop-motion is one of my favorite mediums of expression, and some behind-the-scenes work shows how much care Pendragon put into the film. The runtime sits at 11 minutes, making it perfect for a brief study break. The many existential questions this short film poses leave much room for friendly discussion among friends. 

"Elvis"

This movie is not short by any means, clocking in at nearly 3 hours. But if you're not sold on yet another biographical film about a dead icon, Austin Butler's acting will transport you to a different time.

I was vaguely familiar with Elvis' tragic story before I entered the theater. Still, Butler, who I had only seen in a handful of Disney and Nickelodeon shows, completely blew me away. He embodies Presley's very soul and spirit, complete with all his swagger, charm and air of rebellion.

Butler's best actor nomination comes as no surprise to anyone who's seen the movie. Despite a few historical errors, including the lack of attention to the "Memphis Mafia" and Presley's wrongdoings, the film is successful at capturing the extravagant glitz and glamor of the singer's life and eventually, his untimely downfall. Watching this movie gives anyone a good idea of how and why Presley was so famous during his time.

Oscars season is quickly approaching, so we don't have time to watch every movie on the list. But these few movies are some of the best nominated to watch. With compelling storytelling, captivating performances and gorgeous camerawork, these films deserve their nominations and, hopefully, their wins.