Rutgers softball starts season with historic victory streak

Senior infielder Payton Lincavage was a strong contributor to the Rutgers woman's softball team's sweep at the NorCal Kickoff this past weekend. – Photo by Mike Carlson / ScarletKnights.com

The Rutgers softball team had a successful opening weekend, going undefeated in the NorCal Kickoff. It is the first time that the Scarlet Knights (5-0, 0-0) have started the season off with four straight victories since 1993.

On Friday afternoon, Rutgers began the kickoff by playing Utah Valley. The Knights defeated the Wolverines (2-3, 0-0) 8-0. Utah Valley was only able to get three hits in the entire game, as Rutgers was able to play a great game defensively and from the pitching circle.

Junior shortstop Kyleigh Sand scored the first run of the game. Freshman pitcher Ryann Orange had her first career double and two runs batted in (RBI). Orange was able to bring home sophomore infielder Maddie Lawson and senior outfielder Taylor Fawcett during the fourth inning.

LSU transfer junior pitcher/outfielder Morgan Smith made her debut with the Knights. Smith had two hits and one RBI. Smith pitched for the first five innings, with senior pitcher Ashley Hitchcock pitching for the final two.

Following the victory against the Wolverines, Rutgers picked up another win against Santa Clara, as the Knights beat the Broncos (0-4, 0-0) 8-2.

Orange hit Rutgers' first home run of the season against Santa Clara. Graduate student pitcher Jaden Vickers was on the circle for 3.2 innings.

The Knights played a closer game against Seattle on Saturday but was still able to get an 8-5 win. Out of all the team's opponents, the Redhawks (3-2, 0-0) had the most success getting hits and scoring runs against Rutgers. Smith and Hitchcock served as the two pitchers during the game and allowed Seattle to get eight hits.

In the bottom of the fifth inning, with the score tied at 4-4, the Knights were able to bring in 4 more runs to put the game out of reach for good. Senior infielder Payton Lincavage hit her first home run of the season and the 10th home run of her career.

Rutgers grabbed another victory against UC Davis later on Saturday. Five straight hits during the top of the second inning led to the Knights scoring 5 runs, which would be all the runs they needed, as the Aggies (5-1, 0-0) only scored 1 run in the entire game.

Fawcett opened the scoring with an RBI single to left field. Lawson followed that up with a run-scoring double, and then junior outfielder Leilani Chavez hit an RBI triple. After Sand singled and Lincavage doubled, the top of the order went back up to the plate and scored 2 more runs.

Back-to-back doubles allowed UC Davis to score 1 run in the bottom of the second inning. But Vickers struck out the next two batters, and freshman utility/infielder Calista Collins caught a line drive to end the inning.

In its final game of the weekend, Rutgers was able to sweep the NorCal Kickoff by defeating Sacramento State. Neither team was able to score runs until the sixth inning.

In the sixth inning, a sac bunt from Lincavage drove senior catcher Katie Wingert home, giving the Knights a 1-0 lead. In the bottom of the sixth, junior utility player Kobie Hura caught the ball in left field to end the inning.

In the seventh inning, Smith scored senior infielder/center Kiersten Withstandley on a suicide squeeze, giving Rutgers an insurance run. Freshman pitcher Raimy Gamsby won her first collegiate game after pitching 5.1 innings and striking out five batters. 

For her strong efforts at the plate and on the field in the NorCal Kickoff, Sand was named Big Ten Player of the Week.

With the season off to a strong start, the Knights will prepare to travel to Mobile, Alabama, this weekend for the Mardi Gras Classic. Rutgers will be facing Missouri State, Mississippi Valley State and South Alabama.

For more updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.