MALIK: Creating sustainable cities is key to fighting climate change — if we are determined enough

Column: On the Good Life

Better urban planning would provide one key avenue to minimize the impacts of climate change. – Photo by Danist Soh / Unsplash

Oftentimes, the narrative surrounding cities is that of the wonder of skyscrapers or the joy that comes from so many things to do. One of the main things people tend to criticize, though, is the lack of nature. Trees are used for lining the streets, with little to no leaves which would create a mess. Parks are generally small with the most basic of activities, along with the constant noise of the city, reminding you of where you are.

People in cities generally have poorer air quality, and they are also more at risk of facing the consequences of climate change. When noticing these elements, it is not hard to understand why, so quickly, the wondrous world of skyscrapers can turn into what could be considered a concrete jungle.

Currently, 56 percent of the world’s population lives in cities, and the World Bank expects an upward trend to continue. Although cities have many amenities, they also come with a number of problems. The inherent imbalance between city life and nature means that cities are responsible for about 75 percent of global greenhouse gas emissions. There is so much going on in each city — related to consumption, waste and transportation — that cities drive environmental problems.

These problems seem to be driven, at least in part, by the significant concentration of individuals in cities. So, does improving the environment mean everyone must move away from cities? No — that is too simple of an answer to ever be true.

Cities contain many of the things that make life great and can aid against agents of greenhouse gasses like cars. In addition to reducing the need for cars, which are key sources of many greenhouse gasses, cities are great places to live. Cities create centers for the economy, and they have great social outlets.

Such opportunities in cities make individuals who live in cities happier. In fact, a 2017 study found that "people living in higher-density cities are more likely to be happy than their counterparts in the country or the suburbs."

The issue, then, is not that cities are inherently bad but rather that the planning of cities has been so unsustainable that we are left grappling with these challenges. If we focus on the planning of cities, they could transform from worsening climate change to making a positive difference in environmental sustainability. The focus should be on changing our current cities’ services into what could be greater for the environment. Specifically, there should be a shift to a more sustainable outlook on urban planning.

The United Nations proposes to make cities more sustainable by 2030. The proposal calls for a decrease in reliance on cars for better, more efficient public transportation.

More renewable energy efforts in cities would also be important as they have denser populations. If there is a greater amount of renewable energy, cities could become transformational sites in the fight against climate change. Achieving greater renewable energy could be routed through the introduction of more nature in cities, namely the exchange of carbon dioxide and oxygen with plants would help decarbonize the environment.

While this plan is hopeful, the most important aspect of the plan, and the switch to sustainable urban planning, is the reality that for anything to work, it has to be for everyone — rich or poor. Cities are known for their staggering wealth gaps, but as climate change progresses, it is important that sustainability is not limited to rich sections.

There should be no wealth, racial or other division gaps that creates an urban planning model to only help certain groups. If there is a divide in sustainability, any efforts would ultimately be pointless. Despite the wealth gaps, individuals live in the same city: If one part suffers, the whole city suffers. Changes have to be made that are universal and support everyone. Otherwise, things will not get better.

It is all too clear now why we cannot accept the idea of a concrete jungle with no trees or a city of lights with a polluted sky. It is important to change our visions of cities as they are not helping the environment nor are they helpful to all. Sustainable cities can help create a clean future through their great impacts due to the large numbers of people living in them and the many methods that can be used to change. We just have to be willing.

Sehar Malik is a first-year in the School of Arts and Sciences where she is majoring in molecular biology and biochemistry and minoring in French. Her column, "On the Good Life," runs alternate Thursdays.

YOUR VOICE | The Daily Targum welcomes submissions from all readers. Due to space limitations in our print newspaper, letters to the editor must not exceed 900 words. Guest columns and commentaries must be between 700 and 900 words. All authors must include their name, phone number, class year and college affiliation or department to be considered for publication. Please submit via email to oped@dailytargum.com by 4 p.m. to be considered for the following day’s publication. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff