When it comes to disregarding their past projects, celebrities need to own up

Iconic performances like Robert Pattinson as Edward Cullen in "Twilight" might be beloved by fans, but that doesn't mean the stars feel the same way.  – Photo by @Twilight / Twitter

Many celebrities have one project they're most well known for — if they’re singers, it's a specific hit song, or if they’re an actor, it's for their biggest award-winning movie. It's for good reason that many of these celebrities are known for something specific: They did an exceptional job that warrants praise. Yet, many celebs reject their most iconic project.

Some famous entertainers don’t want to be just known for one thing, while others believe that their famous project isn’t as good as others may think. Usually, these famous projects are what make celebrities who they are. So many fans are disappointed when that celebrity retrospectively rejects the fans' favorite movie, song or TV show that they gained their notoriety from.

This was most recently rumored to have happened to teen heartthrob Louis Partridge with his breakout role in Netflix's "Enola Holmes," starring Mille Bobby Brown. Partridge played Brown’s sidekick in the movie, and after its premiere on Netflix, he gained international recognition.

Many young viewers swooned over Partridge, and from his role in "Enola Holmes," he received several other acting opportunities such as "The Lost Girls" and "Pistol." Partridge began to take on more serious and adult-like roles that juxtaposed his family-friendly role alongside Brown.

Not too long ago, the sequel to "Enola Holmes" was released on Netflix, and many devoted fans of the two movies noticed that Partridge was not promoting the movie on social media nearly as much as he did the first time around.

Many were quick to claim that Partridge was ungrateful for the opportunities that "Enola Holmes" gave him, and he was embarrassed to return to star in another family-friendly movie despite already establishing himself in more mature projects.

Partridge was instantly slammed with mass amounts of hate as his once-loving fans began bashing him for being ungrateful. Partridge’s team was quick to notice this as Partridge swiftly began posting his love and admiration for the movie franchise and all it has given him.

But this isn’t the first time that stars have rejected the project (intentionally or unintentionally) that shot them into stardom. Many weren’t as tactful as Partridge and stood by their disdain for their most famous roles.

One notable actor who isn’t ashamed to show his hatred is Robert Pattinson — of course for his most famous role as 100-year-old vampire, Edward Cullen. "Twilight," the popular movie franchise that Pattinson starred in along with Kristen Stewart, made billions of dollars, and every teen girl at the time lived and breathed for the franchise.

Pattinson didn’t keep it a secret that he hated the trilogy at the time, citing his own disposition for some of his anti-"Twilight" woes. Pattinson said during the press tour for "The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn: Part Two" that if he hadn’t been working on the series, he would "mindlessly hate it" because of his cynical nature.

Throughout the filming of the movies, he constantly critiqued the plot of the movies as well as criticized Stephenie Meyer, the creator of "Twilight," saying the story was just her "sexual fantasy." Pattinson even got close to being fired because he didn’t like how Edward was being portrayed and wanted to make him more serious (or as Pattinson put it, "a little too emo").

Soon after the franchise came to a close, Pattinson took on more serious roles that differed from his teen romance past with more acclaimed films. More recently, Pattinson co-starred in the Oscar-nominated film "The Lighthouse," and he also revived the iconic role of Bruce Wayne in "The Batman" alongside Zoe Kravitz.

Pattinson did everything in his power to distance himself from the movies that made him famous, but he is still known best for his role in "Twilight" regardless of how much he resists.

Disney Channel alum Miley Cyrus is infamous for being embarrassed by her family-friendly past. In an attempt to change the image that she felt restricted in, Cyrus took her new persona to a whole different level.

Back in 2013, Cyrus cut off her hair to a short pixie cut and dyed it bleach blonde, released a new music video riding on a wrecking ball naked (which Cyrus now also regrets) and performed at the Video Music Awards with Robin Thicke, who she twerked on multiple times.

Cyrus wanted to convince her fans and the public that she was done with being viewed as the childish and innocent Hannah Montana. She was an adult now and wanted that to be reflected in how she dressed, acted and sang.

Cyrus abandoned anything that had to do with Disney and wanted to define herself as a new and reinvented artist that broke boundaries. Most childhood stars don’t have autonomy over their lives and careers, so it's common to see these actors rebel against their image.

Although adoring fans attempt to understand their favorite celebrities' drastic changes, it can be difficult to come to terms with the fact that they are embarrassed or ashamed of a project that made them who they are. To many, it can come off as ungrateful as they probably wouldn’t be in a position to act or sing in their preferred projects now if it wasn’t for their initial productions.

There's no harm in wanting to go down a different path because you feel defined by your past, but to completely disregard or disrespect it is unacceptable. Fans have devoted time, money and praise to celebrities' projects — so the least they can do is acknowledge the opportunities it has given them.