For better or for worse, these 2022 TikTok trends were unforgettable

Whether we want to leave them in 2022 or bring them into 2023, it's undeniable that these TikTok trends had an influence on us last year. – Photo by Solen Feyissa / Unsplash

Even though we may not realize it, TikTok is a major factor in most of our day-to-day lives, and the countless trends of 2022 had us all in a chokehold for the duration of the year. Many TikTok users are heavily influenced by the content present on their "For You" pages. Not all of this content is good, though, and many trends are problematic at best and harmful to its viewers at worst.

From fashion inspiration to new gadgets to trending beauty products, dances, easy-to-make recipes and more, creators on the platform have influenced all of us over the course of the year. In no particular order, here are the best and worst TikTok trends from 2022:

"What would send a Victorian child into a coma?"

Yes, you read that correctly. At the end of 2022, TikTokers got together with their friends and compiled lists of things that they thought would send a Victorian child into a coma. Many of the things we have today were not accessible or even invented in the Victorian era.

These lists were clever, witty and creative. As they went around the group sharing their lists, others had to resist the urge to laugh, which in the end made it so much funnier. 

"If I was a…"

This one was perfect for all the lovely couples of 2022. TikTokers would ask their significant others what they would be if they were things like a color, season, food, animal and etc. Users would then gather photos that corresponded with the responses and create a video collage of the photos.

Single creators also used their friends for this trend which was equally as endearing and sometimes hilarious when people didn't take the trend so seriously. It was heartwarming to see how people saw their significant other through their eyes. 

"Things that just make sense"

This trend was open to anyone and everyone which is likely what made it spread like wildfire. Though this trend may have started with "Things in my Italian household that just make sense." There were endless amounts of ways to do this trend and users got very creative with their videos.

TikTokers were able to show off things in their nonna’s house, what it’s like living with 16 children or things in a classroom that just … make sense! Because of the endless ways to do this trend, it brought different groups of people together that have similar interests, hobbies and cultural backgrounds.

Jeffrey Dahmer Challenge

After "Dahmer – Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story" became popular, a few trends arose surrounding Dahmer himself. If the horrid Jeffrey Dahmer Halloween costume epidemic wasn’t bad enough, TikTok users made it even worse with the viral Jeffrey Dahmer polaroid challenge.

Gruesome polaroid pictures that Dahmer took himself of his victims ended up cycling through the internet for the public’s entertainment. With no respect for the victims or their families, users who participated in the trend would react to the polaroid pictures of Dahmer’s victims like some sort of game.

TikTok reported to the New York Post that the search term "Jeffrey Dahmer victim polaroids" gained about 531.2 million views in December. Most users were shocked at what they saw in the photos as if that wouldn't be obvious since Dahmer was one of the most bone-chilling serial killers to walk the Earth in the last few decades. Since TikTok has very strict guidelines, the videos that included some of the images were thankfully taken down.

Tarot Card Readings 

Tarot card readings have been on TikTok for some time now and depending on what the algorithm wants to send you that day, you may be getting an exciting offer in the near future! Or maybe your toxic ex will come back within the next 24 hours and sweep you off your feet. Yeah, you — and the million other people who watched that TikTok.

Unfortunately, that's not how tarot works. Many people get caught up in the mystic ways of the universe and believe a random TikTok on their "For You Page," especially when it's good news for them. I hate to break it to you, but TikTok readers aren't able to read your energy through a screen.

Readers have noticed how easy it is to gain views by telling people what they want to hear. But the chances of these things actually occurring in your life are slim to none. So please, do not get your hopes up … he is not coming back. 

Fast Fashion and the "TikTok Aesthetic"

A good majority of people have finally realized how bad fast fashion is for the environment and the international workers that make the clothes. But the number of people that still buy from Shein and other similar websites is horrifying.

Not only do these companies destroy the planet, but the clothes they make are also ugly and go out of fashion quickly, which only increases the problem. The swirly print clothing, flower print cardigans and patchwork pieces are things we need to keep in 2022.

Of course, it's difficult for some to afford higher-quality clothing, but it's better to spend a little more money on pieces that can be brought into more than one season of fashion. In the end, you will spend less and have a solid wardrobe with pieces that will last a lifetime — instead of having to clear out your closet every three months. Thrifting also exists as a great option for those with a tight budget that still love shopping and want to make choices that are better for the environment.

But the main problem doesn't come from the average person shopping from fast fashion brains, but from the wealthy so-called influencers who go on $1,000 shopping sprees to show off their Shein hauls, just to dump the clothes when they inevitably go out of style.

TikTok can really reflect the best and worse in humanity, as seen in these trends. It is up to us and our choices, both as content creators and the average viewers, to make TikTok the kind of app we want in the world. Instead of contributing to harmful trends, let's boost wholesome content and support creators that make TikTok a fun place so that 2023 has more hits than misses.