December federal spending bill allocates $166.2 million for 130 projects in New Jersey

The New Brunswick Free Public Library was granted funds as a result of the passage of the $1.7 trillion federal spending bill in December 2022. – Photo by Krishna Sudarshan / Googlemaps.com

The Consolidated Appropriations Act for the 2023 fiscal year was passed in December 2022 to fund the federal government through September 30. The legislation included $166.2 million in funding for 130 projects throughout New Jersey, according to a press release by Sen. Cory Booker (D-N.J.).

Included in the projects was funding for Rutgers—Camden, Rutgers Biomedical and Health Sciences (RBHS) and the New Brunswick Free Public Library.

Other projects funded target flood prevention, job growth and educational programs in every New Jersey county, according to the press release. Booker said the funds would help move the state forward by helping the economy and New Jersey communities remain protected and thriving.

"From upgrading our vital infrastructure to increasing access to affordable housing to creating and expanding health programs that promote mental health care and combat the opioid crisis, the projects funded in this bill will provide major benefits to communities across New Jersey," he said. 

More than $1.4 million in funding for Rutgers—Camden will help add staff and programs to the local community centers affiliated with the University. RBHS received $950,650 for nursing simulation equipment.

In addition, the New Brunswick Free Public Library received nearly $40,000 for staffing and training at the library, according to the release.

Sen. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), who worked alongside Booker to obtain the funding for New Jersey, said he was proud to provide the allocations for the state's communities included in the federal spending bill, according to a press release

"This is a major investment in communities across New Jersey, which will improve the quality of life for hardworking families, create good-paying jobs and ensure our state continues to be one of the greatest places to live, work and raise a family," Menendez said.