Your 2023 fashion forecast: Sunny, chance of platform shoes

The 2022 fashion trends can give insight into what the dos (and don'ts) will be for the 2023 style scene. – Photo by A65 Design / Unsplash

Out with the old, in with the new — 2023 is all about chic, classy looks and staple pieces.

2022 brought us lots of amazing trends ... and some not-so-amazing trends (I’m talking about you, low-rise jeans). But as this year comes to a close, it's time to get ahead of the trends and start shopping for the new year.

New Year's resolutions never seem to last more than a few weeks, so why not make a resolution you can stick with: stocking up on all the new trends and saying goodbye to old outfits that are haunting your closet (and your nightmares).

You may ask yourself: How do I know what's in for 2023? Well, I'm here to help! I've put together a list of the top three trends that you will be seeing everywhere this new year, and all the styles that need to stay in 2022 (let’s be real, they should've stayed in the 90s, but I don’t make the rules).

So without further ado, here are all the must-have styles, and the ones to steer clear of this upcoming year. So grab your credit card because it's time to shop till the ball drops.

As for styles that are sure to stay:

Platform shoes

Platform shoes have gone in and out of style since the 90s, and after the last few years, it seems like the trend is here for good, with every major brand hopping on the bandwagon and creating platform versions of its most popular shoes.

Platforms are so versatile and easy to wear, with styles ranging from sneakers and boots to sandals and heels. Some of the hottest platform shoes on the market right now are the UGG Classic Ultra Mini Platform boots for $150 and the Steve Madden Lando Leather loafers for $99.95.

Platforms are great to add some edge to your look, elevate an already great shoe, or for us short people, give us some much-needed height. So while you’re doing your Christmas shopping, do yourself a favor and treat yourself to a pair of platforms. You'll start the new year off in style.

Corset/bra tops

2022 was all about underwear as outerwear, with celebrities and influencers alike sporting corset tops and bra tops for any occasion or event. Sexy chic is what's in, and that means these tops are here to stay — I have some great options to choose from.

The Anthropologie Lace Bustier Top for $68 is the perfect and versatile corset top. The black lacy top is both sexy and sophisticated, and it can be easily dressed up or down for the perfect holiday party look or a night on the town with the girls.

Another great top is the Urban Outfitters Out From Under Trickshot Seamless Strappy Bra Top for $29. The strappy top comes in black and orange, so whether you're feeling classic or bold, there's an option for you. So go ahead — get dressed up (or should I say undressed) and enjoy a night out in your newfound confidence. If you want to immediately feel more confident, a corset top will do the trick every time. Trust me.

Puff sleeve everything

Puff sleeves have been all the rage since the rise of the cottagecore aesthetic in 2021, and I am not mad about it. Puff sleeves can be flattering on anyone, and they elevate any top or dress by making them look classy and chic — and 2023 is all about classy and chic.

I'm a huge fan of the puff sleeve, if you couldn’t already tell, and have a ton of great options and recommendations to offer. My favorite is the Abercrombie & Fitch Long-Sleeve Ruched Bodice Puff Sleeve Top (which comes in 4 colors and is currently on sale for $30, a total steal).

My other absolute favorite puff sleeve style is the ASOS lilac-colored midi dress, which is a perfect look for a date night, casual wedding or a spring picnic for only $55. Get ready to live out your cottagecore fantasy because puff sleeves are still incredibly popular, with no sign of stopping.

And then, there are some styles that'll be a huge no in 2023:

Skinny jeans

Let's be real: Skinny jeans have been out for a while, but I know you still have a pile in your closet — don't lie, I know I have a pair buried deep in there!

Skinny jeans are uncomfortable and can be less flattering than other cuts, there's no way around it. Skinny jeans are fine and get the job done if you are opting for a denim look. But next to wider-legged jeans, they're dated and the look you're going for doesn't give you justice.

In 2023, we're swapping the skinny jeans for a more elevated and chic look, with baggier wide-leg jeans or classic straight-leg jeans. We're not in middle school anymore, ditch those skinny jeans that are two sizes too small, and graduate to a sophisticated, well-fitting look this year.

Micro-mini skirts

The micro-mini skirt was all the rage in the late 90s and early 2000s, along with the super low-rise jeans and the thong sticking out of the pants, a la Paris Hilton — but it's 2023, and we're grown up now. It's time to skip the micro-mini skirt and slip into something a bit more appropriate for this generation's fashion sense.

I know the micro-mini skirt look is all about "the more skin, the better," but there are ways to create a sexy look in a skirt without one wrong move causing everyone to see you half-naked. Instead of that dated micro-mini skirt, opt for a sexy and sophisticated tailored mini-skirt, preferably in black.

My favorite little black skirt is actually a skort! The Express Super High Waisted Tailored Mini Skort, currently on sale for $42, is the perfect way to elevate your style and show some skin, without showing more than you bargained for.

Hip cutouts

It's time for a real question: Did anyone actually like the trend of pants with hip cutouts? I know that "Euphoria" made them popular, but let's be honest: they’re not cute. Like the micro-mini skirt, the hip cutout pants are trying too hard to be sexy. It's OK to show skin, but this style just misses the mark. So throw away those awful hip cutout pants, and instead opt for a pair of ankle-length straight-leg leather pants like the viral Abercrombie & Fitch ones.

When it comes to fashion, it's important to remember to wear what you like and feel confident in. But if you can't help but follow the trends or love to keep your finger on the pulse of fashion, use these tips to make sure you're on trend.