Anti-Muslim imagery displayed during incident at Muslim Center of Middlesex County

A truck bearing anti-Muslim imagery drove around the Muslim Center of Middlesex County several times on Saturday. – Photo by @MCMC_NJ / Twitter

An anti-Muslim incident occurred at a mosque in Piscataway on Saturday afternoon, according to an article from Patch.com.

During the incident, which occurred at the Muslim Center of Middlesex County, someone drove a truck around the mosque’s parking lot several times displaying graphic images from the 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai.

In the terror attacks in November 2008, members of a Pakistan Islamic terrorist group began a series of bombing and shooting attacks that lasted for four days in Mumbai, according to the article.

Approximately 174 individuals were killed in the attacks, and the relationship between Pakistan’s Muslim population and India’s Hindu population has remained tense since then, according to the article.

Dina Sayedahmed, a spokeswoman for the New Jersey chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR-NJ), said that a religious service had just concluded at the time of the incident. Piscataway police were notified and a police report was filed, she said.

CAIR-NJ director Selaedin Maksut said that similar incidents have occurred in the past, according to the article. He cited one from earlier this summer, when a bulldozer, which has been known to symbolize anti-Muslim attitudes in India, was included in Edison and Woodbridge’s India Independence Day parade.

Gov. Phil Murphy (D-N.J.) and Sens. Robert Menendez (D-N.J.) and Cory Booker (D-N.J.) condemned the August bulldozer incident, and parade organizers issued an apology after several weeks.

Maksut said that the incident was similar to those that occurred against Muslims in America after the terrorist attacks on 9/11, according to the article.

"The intent behind this incident is clear. By targeting a Muslim center and deliberately circling its premises repeatedly, the perpetrators expect New Jersey’s Muslim community to answer to, or even feel shame for, an event that occurred entirely independent of them," Maksut said. "Anti-Muslim intimidation tactics like these are unacceptable."