Three takeaways from Rutgers women's basketball's start to season

Freshman guard Kaylene Smikle and the Rutgers women's basketball team sit at .500 through their first eight games of the season. – Photo by Rutgers Women's Basketball / Twitter

The Rutgers women’s basketball team is off and running eight games into its 2022-23 season. The Scarlet Knights (4-4, 0-0) got back to .500 with a Sunday victory over Cornell in their most recent game. Here are three takeaways from the first stretch of the season.

New management

Head coach Coquese Washington was named the new leader of the program this summer, succeeding C. Vivian Stringer after her long and illustrious run on the Banks. Washington’s impact on Rutgers has shown from the start of her tenure.

"The styles may be a little bit different," Washington said. "But I think the thing that will remain constant and consistent is the pursuit of excellence, the pursuit of championships, and loving and caring and nurturing our players off the court in a way that’s authentic and truly a positive representation of Rutgers Athletics and Rutgers University."

Big Ten test 

The Knights hold an even record to start their season and have one more non-conference game before opening up conference play. It’s a sign of instant improvement from last season when their final record was 11-20 with only three Big Ten wins.

Rutgers faces a tall task in its first conference game when the team hosts Ohio State on Sunday. The No. 4 Buckeyes (6-0, 0-0) finished first in the Big Ten regular season standings last year and are coming off of two consecutive performances exceeding 100 points.

Early leaders

Though the Knights walked into the season with only eight athletes on the active roster, those players have been showing up in big ways. With the limited roster, each player has had their chance to prove why they are on this team and log a good number of minutes on the count.

Freshman guard Kaylene Smikle has emerged as a valuable player on both sides of the ball, leading the program in both points and steals. Junior forward Chyna Cornwell has been the leading rebounder on the team. She increased her average in the win over the Big Red (3-4, 0-0), pulling down a new career-high total of 16.

Rutgers will travel up north for its matchup tomorrow night against Boston College. The Eagles (5-3, 0-0) are coming off of a loss to Stephen F. Austin that snapped a four-game winning streak. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. and the broadcast will take place on 88.7 WRSU-FM.

For updates on the Rutgers women's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.