Though Dylan Mulvaney shows grace, Caitlyn Jenner's anti-trans comments harm everyone

Dylan Mulvaney, in spite of her wholesome platform, has recently fielded numerous online attacks misgendering her. – Photo by dylanmulvaney / Instagram

Dylan Mulvaney is a transgender woman who has amassed 9 million followers on TikTok. As part of her recent transition, Mulvaney has gained popularity by giving daily updates on her transition, starting from day one. 

Not afraid to show the highs and lows of her transition, Mulvaney has been praised for how candid she is. Mulvaney has explained that her reason for this is to show the process so other trans people can relate and hopefully find solace in her struggles.

Not only does she talk about her transition, but she also heavily promotes positivity and kindness. A smile never strays from her face, even when she is having a hard day.

Despite Mulvaney’s good-spirited nature and her innocence in just simply updating and explaining her experience with her transition, many people on the internet have expressed problems with her videos. In addition to hate comments, Mulvaney has experienced TikTok users mocking and dressing up as her or saying severely discriminatory comments toward Mulvaney.

More recently, Mulvaney’s videos have been featured on multiple Right-wing news shows and have been tweeted about by Conservative politicians. 

The topic of Mulvaney arose on the infamous "Tucker Carlson Tonight" show, where Carlson crudely referred to Mulvaney as "he" and claimed that she was playing dress up and pretending to be a girl.

Not only did Carlson say those horrendous things, but he also claimed that Mulvaney was promoting child mutilation when discussing gender-affirming surgeries with President Joseph R. Biden Jr.

Not too soon after, Mulvaney was attacked again via Twitter by Sen. Marsha Blackburn (R-Tenn.). In the tweet, Blackburn attached a video made by Mulvaney in which she shared an experience about going to the mall and noticing that people were looking at her crotch.

In this very candid video, Mulvaney was vulnerable in sharing her insecurities, but it was demonized by Blackburn tweeting that "Dylan Mulvaney, Joe Biden and radical Left-wing lunatics want to make this absurdity normal."

In response to this tweet, Caitlyn Jenner — an Olympic gold medalist, member of the Kardashian family and a fellow trans woman — tweeted in response, "He is talking about his penis!"

The tweet has since been deleted, but Jenner left up a tweet that is also disapproving, writing, "Thank you for speaking out and having a backbone — one of the best senators we have. Let’s not 'normalize' any of what this person is doing. This is absurdity!"

As a trans woman herself, Jenner should be the first one to understand what Mulvaney is going through and be sympathetic to her situation. Despite Jenner’s Conservative opinions on many topics, she is being extremely hypocritical.

This is not the first time that Jenner has fought against trans rights. A little while before this incident, Jenner claimed that trans people should not be allowed to participate in competitive sports as it is unfair to the other athletes.

Jenner has continuously defended herself and her transition but always then proceeds to misgender or tear down other trans women or disparage trans rights as a whole. This time, Jenner doubled down on her statement by reposting an article about the incident, adding that “there is a difference between acceptance and tolerance, and normalizing exposing your genitals in a public way and a public place. I do not support that at all, in the slightest. Dylan ... congrats (you're) trans with a penis."

The internet quickly went to defend Mulvaney and call out Jenner’s hypocrisy, stating that she is no longer an ally or part of the LGBTQ+ community as she clearly doesn’t respect others in it. 

Many were curious about whether Mulvaney would respond to Jenner’s claims as Mulvaney usually likes to stay on the positive side of things. But just a few days later, Mulvaney responded via TikTok to Jenner and all the other Conservatives who very publicly humiliated her.

In the video, Mulvaney stated that she connects with Jenner on so many levels, and despite their opposing opinions, she was once willing to sit down and talk about their experiences and differences. But now, due to her comments, she doesn’t believe that she could ever do that.

Mulvaney continued, "If you can think back to your early days of transitioning and remember being embarrassed about your body or having strangers give you dirty looks, that's why I made that video. That's why I made that video — because I was embarrassed, and I wanted to reclaim my body in a positive way. Now you've taken that and turned it into something really ugly."

She later went on to say that since the day that Jenner transitioned, she had been cheering her on. Mulvaney also explained that “I can't even get bottom surgery right now if I wanted to — I haven't been on hormones long enough ... I'm not as far along as you. Please be patient."

Being trans isn’t defined as just having surgery, and Jenner should know that. Trans women and men are the genders they say they are — it doesn’t matter what surgeries they’ve had or how long they’ve identified as their transitioned gender. 

"A trans person invalidating another trans person’s trans-ness is pretty evil in my eyes ... You’ve been accepted by a group of people that very clearly does not accept me, and nearly every day this week, I have been called a freak, a child predator, an absurdity," Mulvaney said. "And my question for you is: Don’t you feel a little lonely over there? These people that you’re standing with, I don’t know if they have your best intentions at heart. But they will use you to make mine and the trans community’s life a lot harder than it already is."