Targum sports desk gives predictions for Rutgers-No. 11 Penn State

Ahead of the Rutgers football team's final home game of the season, The Daily Targum sports desk gave its predictions for the matchup against Penn State.  – Photo by Rutgers Men's LAX / Twitter

The Rutgers football team has one last home game in the 2022 season. Much like the rest of the Scarlet Knights' (4-6, 1-6) Big Ten schedule this year, they will face a big test when they take the field tomorrow against Penn State. If Rutgers is able to pull off the major upset, it will be one win away from clinching a trip to a bowl game.

Ahead of the Senior Day matchup against the No. 11 Nittany Lions (8-2, 5-2), The Daily Targum sports desk gave their predictions and thoughts on how tomorrow's game will unfold.

Dylan McCoy, head sports editor: "Rutgers is coming off of a loss in what was their most winnable game left on the schedule. Penn State is one of the best teams in the nation, has historically owned the Knights and brings a lot of experience against a young team. 38-10 win for the Nittany Lions."

Jack Bisaha, associate sports editor: "In each prediction article, I have picked Rutgers to win, but I cannot bring myself to pick my beloved Knights to win this week. The challenge is simply too big to overcome, as Penn State possesses one of the best defenses in the nation. They allow 19 points per game (PPG) while Rutgers only scores 19.9 PPG on offense.

The pivotal moment will come in with 2:49 left in the first quarter. After a red zone fumble from Penn State keeps the game tied at 0-0, (sophomore quarterback Gavin Wimsatt) will show his youth by throwing a costly pick-six to (Zakee Wheatley) give Penn State the lead. The Nittany Lions will go on to win 31-3."

Ellis Gordon, correspondent: "In a cold Saturday game, Penn State will ground and pound the Scarlet Knights into submission. They will jump out to a 21-0 lead before (Wimsatt) runs in a touchdown right before the half. The second half will be more of the same, and the Nitanny Lions will win 35-10. Also, (junior placekicker Jude McAtamney) will kick a 60-yard field goal off of the bottom post."

Allison Girardi, correspondent: "I’m going to go 45-10 Penn State. The fact of the matter is that Rutgers just can’t keep up with Penn State. History has shown that time and time again, and honestly, I don’t expect anything different from this year. The Knights just don’t have the offensive power to compete with Penn State this year."

Josh Meyers, contributing writer: "Penn State 37, Rutgers 13. Unfortunately, Rutgers has little to no success when they play against the Nittany Lions, and I don’t expect that to change this week. I think some of the seniors will play impassioned and make good plays on their Senior Day, but in the end, it will be futile. This will be another three possession or greater defeat for the Scarlet Knights."

Brandon Loree, contributing writer: "After talking with Spencer Ripchik, who covers Penn State football, I feel even less confident about Rutgers winning this game. He mentioned how the freshman running back duo they have is electric and the best pair since Saquon Barkley and Miles Sanders.

Not suitable for a Rutgers defense that allowed (Minnesota running back Mohamed Ibrahim and (Michigan running back Blake Corum) to run all over them. I think whichever team runs the football better will win the game. It will be closer than expected, but Rutgers will drop their final home game 24-17."

Eddie Kalegi, contributing writer: "Penn State 31, Rutgers 17. In the chilly weather for the last home game of the season, Rutgers will at least keep it close. (Wimsatt) showed some major developmental strides last weekend in the closing stages against Michigan State and should propel that momentum into this contest.

"Something to pay attention to is how Penn State uses their rushing attack as Michigan State was able to terrorize the Scarlet Knights on the ground with several backs throughout last week’s matchup. Rutgers may lead early and will keep it close, but it won’t be upset Saturday in Piscataway."

Andrew Rice, contributing writer: "Penn State will most likely impose their will on Rutgers. They have more experience and more developed players than Rutgers. Rutgers will, however, keep it closer than most predict because they will be fired up for the final home game. Penn State 35, Rutgers 14."

Camden Markel, contributing writer: "Rutgers comes into this one after losing to Michigan State last week. Despite the loss, a lot of progression was shown on the offensive side of the ball, particularly with (Wimsatt) and (sophomore running back Kyle Monangai). This week, I expect Wimsatt to look solid once again, but Penn State may limit Monangai and the rushing offense. Ultimately, I see the Scarlet Knights falling to Penn State 34-17."

Alec Crouthamel, contributing writer: "I think Rutgers will lose, but they’ll keep it close through the first half like they did against Michigan. It’ll be 13-10 at the half after (sophomore defensive back Robert Longerbeam) picks off (Penn State quarterback Sean Clifford), and (Wimsatt) hits (senior wide receiver Sean Ryan) for a 12-yard touchdown, but (Penn State) forces 2 turnovers in the second half and wins 31-16."

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.