No. 21 Rutgers wrestling travels to West Coast for 2 weekend meets

Head coach Scott Goodale and the Rutgers wrestling team will head to the West Coast this weekend as they begin to ramp up their season. – Photo by Rutgers Wrestling / Twitter

Rutgers wrestling leaves for California this weekend in preparation for two showdowns in the Golden State. After falling to Arizona State in brutal fashion, the No. 21 Scarlet Knights (2-1, 0-0) head west and look to rebound in a duel against Stanford tomorrow and against California State Bakersfield on Sunday.

The Cardinal (0-0, 0-0) feature six wrestlers who are ranked by Intermat while Rutgers has eight. The highest-ranking wrestler for the Knights going into the dual is junior 141-pounder Sammy Alvarez, who is ranked 10th in his weight class and is 3-0 this season. He is projected to compete against unranked Jason Miranda who is 8-1 on the season. 

Rutgers not only has the advantage in ranked wrestlers but also has three returning All- American wrestlers who are projected to wrestle tomorrow. These returning All-Americans include Alvarez, sophomore 184-pounder John Poznanski and junior 174-pounder Jackson Turley

Shane Griffith, a New Jersey native, is undefeated on the season at 7-0 and ranked second in the nation at 165 pounds. Griffith will be matched up against sophomore 165-pounder Connor O’Neill who is 4-3 on the season.

The duel between the Knights and the Cardinal will be an outside dual at Taube Family Tennis Center in Stanford, California. This will be the program’s first outside dual of the season. The dual will begin at 5 p.m. and will be broadcasted via livestream provided by Stanford.

Rutgers will be led into the duel by head coach Scott Goodale, who claimed his 200th career victory on the Banks in the program’s opening meet of the season against Clarion. Goodale has the most victories in program history.

The Knights’ second event of the weekend will be the Roadrunner Open hosted by the Roadrunners (0-0, 0-0). Many different schools will compete, and Rutgers has not been assigned an official opponent yet. This will be another opportunity for the Knights to have a strong showing as many of the schools that will be competing do not have any ranked wrestlers. 

An official setlist for who will be starting for Rutgers has not been released yet, but it is believed that most of the athletes on the roster will be competing.

The meet will take place on Sunday at the Icardo Center. The open will be an all-day event and will be streamed on FloWrestling.

For more updates on the Rutgers wrestling team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.