Cam Spencer: Rutgers men's basketball lone transfer primed to make impact

Senior guard Cam Spencer will look to provide a shooting spark for the Rutgers men's basketball team in his first season on the Banks. – Photo by Evan Leong

Senior guard Cam Spencer seems to be right at home with the Rutgers men’s basketball program and the culture that head coach Steve Pikiell has created. During the offseason, there was a lot of buzz about the Loyola Maryland transfer's competitiveness, intensity and work ethic. Pikiell himself has gushed about the work Cam Spencer was putting in.

“The guys really respect him. He's in the gym, he lifted this morning and practiced now. He'll be the first guy shooting after practice, and then he watches (the game's) film,” Pikiell said. “A real good student, another great kid from a good family. He’s a very, very nice addition to our program.”

Cam Spencer’s work outside of practice has clearly translated into actual practice. In open practices, he has scrimmaged with the starters and has been very vocal and active on defensive drills. On the eve of the season, it seems the respect and admiration Pikiell has for Spencer is reciprocated.

“It started from the first phone call with Pikiell. We just saw eye to eye on a lot of things,” Cam Spencer said at the team’s media day on October 14. “He's an old-school competitive guy, and so am I, so I think we mesh well. And once I got on campus, it was a no-brainer for me.”

Moving up from the Greyhounds to a Big Ten school is nothing new for the Spencer family. His older brother Pat Spencer spent four years playing college lacrosse at Loyola before going to Northwestern to play a season of college basketball for the 2019-20 season. Pat Spencer was recently on the Golden State Warrior's preseason roster and is now playing on the Santa Cruz Warriors, the Warriors’ G-League affiliate. 

Cam Spencer may be four years younger than his older brother but acknowledges he can still learn a lot from him.

“I have learned a lot from (my brother) and his experiences, so we still talk every day. I am very happy for him right now, and I definitely lean on his experiences a lot,” said Cam Spencer.

Now, Cam Spencer is ready to make his own legacy in the Big Ten. With stars Geo Baker and Ron Harper Jr. no longer on the Banks, the Scarlet Knights are missing their top two scorers from last season. He will immediately be asked to fill that scoring role, a role he excelled in for the Greyhounds.

Last year, Cam Spencer averaged 18.9 points and just more than two steals per game in 37 minutes per night. He led Loyola and the whole Patriot League in all three of these statistics. Cam Spencer is also more than just a defender and three-point shooter, as he averaged just under five rebounds and approximately three assists per game last year. He finished the season by being named to the All-Patriot League First Team.

Despite all of Cam Spencer’s accolades, he does not seem concerned with the past. He has his mind on winning and doing whatever he can do to help Rutgers be successful in the 2022-23 season. That mindset is a testament to the culture Pikiell has built, which emphasizes team success and buy-in over individual prowess. 

Knights fans should be excited to watch the almost mechanical shooting ability that Cam Spencer possesses, and he is excited to show Rutgers fans how he can contribute to the team’s overall success.

“I’m a competitor, and whatever the team needs from me to win, that is what I'm willing to do. (I'm) somebody who puts the team first, and I am ready to compete,” Cam Spencer said.

For more updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.