Taylor Swift's 'Midnights' becomes well-deserved over(mid)night sensation

Taylor Swift's "Midnights" is another valuable addition to her discography. – Photo by Taylor Swift / Twitter

Taylor Swift has done it again. Last Friday, Swift dropped her highly anticipated 10th studio album “Midnights.” Within just a few days of its release, the album has gone on to break a multitude of records.

In less than a week in the U.S., “Midnights” has already had the largest sales week for any album since Swift’s 2017 album “reputation,” which had a whopping 1.2 million equivalent album units. "Midnights" edged "reputation" out by just a hair, with 1.3 million equivalent album units, predicted now to be somewhere in the 1.4 to 1.6 million range.

Additionally, Spotify deemed “Midnights” as the platform’s most streamed album in a day, and also crowned Swift as the most streamed artist in a single day in Spotify history. Swift also broke records on Apple Music, such as setting the record for the biggest pop album of all time, in terms of first-day streams, on the platform.

Basically, Swift is the music industry.

I’ve been listening to the album religiously since its midnight release, and I’ve already begun to claim my favorites. Let’s take a dive through the tracklist of “Midnights (3am Edition)” and highlight some of the highs and lows of the newest addition to Swift’s discography.

“Lavender Haze” is a phenomenal opener to the album and is somewhat reminiscent of, “I Think He Knows,” one of my favorite tracks from Swift’s 2019 album “Lover.” This song provides a catchy, upbeat opening track to the album, and the vibes are truly immaculate.

“Midnights” lead single “Anti-Hero” is a painfully relatable song about Swift’s self-loathing tendencies, disguised with a memorable melody and cheerful instrumentation. I absolutely love this song and the duality of the lyrical content in contrast with its musical composition.

“Snow On The Beach (feat. Lana Del Rey)” features the only collaboration on the album, but I have to admit that I was slightly disappointed. While I’m not a super fan of Del Rey, I was looking forward to hearing the combination of both of their voices and song writing capabilities. Instead, we only got the essence of Del Rey’s whispered vocals in the background.

Swift’s famous track five is presented on “Midnights” through the likes of “You’re On Your Own, Kid,” which is my absolute favorite song on this album. I tend to fall easily in love with most of Swift’s track fives, but this one hits a special chord in me.

The melody is beyond beautiful, the lyrical content is heart-wrenching and relatable, and it’s overall a phenomenally written and produced track. Warning: The bridge will make you absolutely bawl your eyes out.

One song I was slightly disappointed by is “Question…?” When Swift slowly released the album's tracklist on TikTok, I claimed this song, hoping it would be one of my favorites. While it’s not awful, I find the melody on the verses slightly hard to listen to, and the general lyrical content is a bit convoluted for my liking. Overall it’s not a hit, but it’s not unbearable.

While I do love “Vigilante Sh*t,” I don’t feel like it fits cohesively into this album. It feels intensely like a vault track from “reputation,” capturing a Billie Eilish-esque essence in its delivery. Additionally, the lyrical content can be borderline cringey at times. While I like it as a general addition to Swift’s discography, I don’t think it should’ve had a home on “Midnights.”

“Bejeweled” is a complete “Lover”-energy bop, and I’m living for it. I absolutely love the upbeat retro synth instrumentation and the overarching message of still being able to “make the whole place shimmer,” even during a rough patch in life. This track is a certified hit and has been playing non-stop in my head since the album's release.

The final track on the standard edition of “Midnights,” “Mastermind” truly takes the cake as one of my top songs from this project. The lyrical content is so well written, and the bridge is heart-wrenchingly beautiful, especially due to Swift’s vocal delivery. I believe this was the perfect track to end the standard edition of the album, and I couldn’t be happier with it.

When it comes to the later released bonus tracks on the “Midnights (3am Edition),” my personal favorites as of now are “The Great War,” “Paris,” “High Infidelity,” “Glitch” and “Would’ve, Could’ve, Should’ve.”

All of these tracks provide a perfect continuation of the 13 standard edition songs, and I absolutely love them. Whenever artists release a standard and deluxe version of an album, I tend to listen solely to the extended version, so this was just what I needed.

Overall, “Midnights” provides fans with a return to Swift’s iconic pop sound, giving us an album that perfectly melds together elements of “Lover” and “1989,” as well as hints of “reputation” and the vocal maturity and delivery of “folklore.”

I believe Swifties and non-Swifties alike will enjoy this album as there is a sound and lyrical topic that can appeal to everyone. “Midnights” is an absolute must-listen and will hand down be dominating my Spotify Wrapped this December.