State bill aims to stop state colleges from withholding transcripts from indebted students

Rutgers has more than 7,500 enrolled students who cannot receive their official transcripts due to outstanding payment balance. – Photo by rutgers.edu

The state assembly's Higher Education Committee recently passed a bill that restricts state colleges and universities, including Rutgers, from keeping official transcripts from students who owe money to them, according to an article by NJ Advance Media.

There has been a national push to stop universities from withholding transcripts on the basis of debt, with eight states having passed legislation stopping the practice and the U.S. Secretary of Education Miguel Cardona speaking out against it.

The article said that withholding transcripts could be a roadblock for individuals attempting to apply for jobs or continue school.

At Rutgers, there are 7,644 enrolled students and 20,391 former students who cannot receive official transcripts because they owe the University money.

“I think (withholding transcripts) does a tremendous disservice to students and is a significant obstacle in our quest to encourage students to return to school and complete their education,” said Rep. Mila Jasey (D-27), a sponsor of the bill.

The state Senate's Higher Education Committee has not yet voted on its version of the bill.