No. 23 Rutgers field hockey faces test with No. 3 Northwestern

The Rutgers field hockey team faces one of the best teams in the nation when they host Northwestern in Piscataway.  – Photo by Rutgers Field Hockey / Twitter

The Rutgers field hockey team is set to host Northwestern this Saturday at the Bauer Track and Field Complex on Livingston campus. This will be the second straight game in which the No. 23 Scarlet Knights (6-6, 2-3) face a top-three opponent, with last week being then-No. 3 Iowa. 

Rutgers is on a three-game losing streak, with their national ranking slowly slipping. The Knights have had mostly nonstop-ranked opponents, giving them nearly no breathing room in their schedule. Though this week holds only one game, it is a ranked game and a Big Ten game. 

The Big Ten has been a highly competitive conference in the 2022 season. Rutgers sits fourth in the Big Ten standings thanks to their two conference wins against Michigan State and then-No. 23 Ohio State

The entire conference has gained a lot of steam as of late, with only two teams in the conference currently without a national ranking. The Big Ten has proven they are amongst the elite in Division 1 Field Hockey, having four teams in the top five of the NFHCA national poll

While the Knights only have one team to study this week, they are an intimidating opponent that has proven their dominance this season. Meanwhile, the No. 3 Wildcats (10-2, 1-2) have a nearly perfect record with only two losses on their plate. Since both losses happen to be in the conference, this brings them down to fifth in the Big Ten standings. 

Northwestern has a strong offense that has been leading it to victory all season. Bente Baekers leads the team with 18 goals, 1.50 goals per game and 42 points. Baekers’ numbers in those categories lead the entire nation as well.

Baekers also has 45 shots on goal for the year, making her easily the Wildcats’ most powerful offensive player.

Meanwhile, Annabel Skubisz is in the net for Northwestern. She has started every game this season with a 1.31 goals-against average and a 0.719 save percentage. With only 16 goals allowed in 12 games, the Wildcats have good strength in their net to pair with their incredible offense. 

Rutgers vs. Northwestern will begin at noon, with the matchup broadcasting on Big Ten Network+. In addition to the stream, live stats will be available during the game presented by both Statbroadcast and SideArm Stats.

For more updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.