No. 21 Rutgers field hockey defeats No. 19 James Madison on Senior Day

Senior forward Rachel Houston and the No. 21 Rutgers field hockey team closed out the regular season with a Senior Day win over James Madison. – Photo by Rutgers Field Hockey / Twitter

The Rutgers field hockey team earned its eighth victory of the season over James Madison on Senior Day at Bauer Field on Livingston campus today. The No. 21 Scarlet Knights (8-9, 3-5) defeated the No. 19 Dukes (10-7, 0-0) by a score of 3-0 to collect their fifth ranked win of the season. 

The seniors honored by Rutgers included forwards Amanda Beck and Rachel Houston, backs Annie Walsh and Isabella Mancini and midfielders Maggie Lamb and Carly Snarski.

The Knights started the scoring off in the 19th minute of the game when a penalty corner allowed graduate student forward Marique Dieudonne to take a shot from the top of the circle. Sophomore midfielder Lucy Bannatyne was in front to tip the shot past Brandelynn Heinbaugh for her 4th goal of the season. Bannatyne is now tied for second on the team in goals.

In the 36th minute, Beck took a shot from the corner off a rebound attempt for Rutgers' 2nd goal of the day. The senior recorded her 2nd goal of the season.

The 56th minute saw freshman back Puck Winter score on a quick shot from the top. Winter netted her 2nd goal of the season off of a nice feed from junior back Iris Langejans.

Goalkeeper Sophia Howard stopped four shots to earn her fifth shutout of the season. Before the Knights’ 3rd goal, Howard was able to make a nice stick save to keep James Madison scoreless.

The Dukes led in shots on goal with eight, compared to six registered by Rutgers, but the Knights led James Madison in total shots on goal 5-4. Rutgers was able to capitalize off of the Dukes' four penalty corners while giving up five penalty corners.

The Knights were able to finish the regular season on a high note heading into the Big Ten Tournament. Rutgers will be the sixth seed in the bracket. The program's next contest will be against the third-seeded Northwestern in Columbus, Ohio.

The Knights were able to defeat the No. 4 Wildcats (15-3, 5-3) in their matchup on October 8 and will face them again on Thursday at 5 p.m to kick off their in-conference tournament play.

For more updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.