Looking to add unique flair to your resume? VSCO might be your friend

While known to most as a simple social media platform, VSCO can actually be a powerful resume builder. – Photo by VSCO / Twitter

As I was looking through my home screen trying to clear up some space on my phone, I stumbled across VSCO and decided to open it for the first time in months.

VSCO is a photography application where you can edit and publish photos. It's always been a very private, lowkey app, especially because likes, reposts and followers could only be seen by you. The numbers never mattered. But the app has been forgotten about by many. That’s what makes it the perfect time capsule for creatives like me to see the progress I've made over the years. This makes it the perfect addition to a resume for aspiring journalists and things of that nature. 

Before I proceed, let me clarify something: In no way am I trying to persuade you to use your VSCO as a replacement for your portfolio. It would just be a good addition to make it more authentic. A regular portfolio might mainly show work you have done with certain guidelines and requirements from previous classes you may have taken, but your VSCO shows more of who you are and how you choose to capture and edit photos when you have the freedom to do what you want. 

Unlike apps like Instagram, VSCO allows people to post what they like instead of what they think their followers will like because the numbers don’t matter. It feels like a lot of pressure to post on Instagram and apps of that nature. People are so worried about likes and comments that they want to make the post as perfect as possible. VSCO has a more authentic, raw feel since there's no pressure to make a post fit into the script of what type of posts are trendy at the moment.

It also allows you to be casual and post whatever you want because there are no visible numbers displayed for others to see, so having a post flop really isn't possible.

I have thrown my Instagram handle out a few times throughout the semester already to use as my “portfolio,” forgetting that I have years of work hidden on my VSCO. The app also allows you to showcase the different styles you've tried over the years from how you take your photos to how you edit them.

The layout of your VSCO profile is also unique because it doesn’t display your photos side by side like other apps. It's set up almost like an art gallery or loose collage where all of the pictures flow nicely together depending on the size and dimensions of your photos.

VSCO also adds an element of personal freedom and personality to a resume. Work environments of all types have been making adjustments to adhere to the remote working world we have shifted to since the start of the pandemic. Working from home is something that a lot of people have decided they prefer, rather than having to deal with running around from sunrise to sunset and having an annoying commute.

Working from home allows people to have the freedom and flexibility to enjoy life a little more — that’s what more people look for when applying for jobs nowadays, especially in media-related jobs.

Now that I’m at the point in college where I have to find an internship, I have noticed a lot of employment opportunities are remote, which also means the interviews are all digital. This makes it difficult for employers to really get a feel for who you really are through a computer screen. If you're also competing with other applicants and want your application to stand out, adding something like your VSCO can really make a difference.