Targum sports desk gives predictions for Rutgers-Iowa

The Daily Targum's sports desk gives its predictions for the Rutgers-Iowa matchup taking place this weekend in front of a packed SHI Stadium on Busch campus. – Photo by Wikipedia.com

The Rutgers football team is set for a showdown under the lights tomorrow against Iowa. The last time the Scarlet Knights (3-0, 0-0) hosted a primetime game against a Big Ten opponent was in 2017 against Ohio State, so it is safe to say the campus is buzzing with excitement.

In anticipation of this game, The Daily Targum sports desk weighed in with its score predictions for tomorrow night and with its overall thoughts on how the game will unfold.

Dylan McCoy, head sports editor: "Rutgers and Iowa both profile very similarly through the first three weeks. Their offenses have struggled, but both defenses have been stout so far. This game will be a rock fight in front of a packed stadium, but I think Rutgers has too many questions on offense to take the win. 14-10 Iowa."

Jack Bisaha, associate sports editor: "10-7, Rutgers gets the win. I really can't go against Rutgers in this spot. The place will be packed and loud for the program's first primetime game with fans in Schiano 2.0. Both teams have high-level defenses with unproven offenses, and I think that makes for a classic defensive battle that will go down to the wire. In the end, (junior placekicker Jude McAtamney) will kick the game-winning field goal and Rutgers will go home victorious."

Ellis Gordon, correspondent: "Rutgers wins 10-9. On the final drive of the game, Rutgers has the ball down 9-3. In a scene similar to the final drive in Boston College, they rush it all the way down to the 1, and on 4th and goal, (senior tight end Johnny Langan) punches it in, and (McAtamney) gets the extra point and Rutgers wins a thriller 10-9."

Allison Girardi, correspondent: "27-21 Rutgers. I’m being optimistic here, but it will be a really close game with Iowa. I think Rutgers has a good shot this game, and with the momentum from the last three weeks, it’ll be a great turnout and great energy."

Brandon Loree, contributing writer: "Rutgers is finally getting a home game to be excited about. Unfortunately, fans might be disappointed by a low-scoring game. Both defenses are top 10 in the country so far and have been the strength of their teams. The Rutgers secondary struggled against EJ Warner in the second half of last week’s game. Spencer Petras is not as good as the true freshman. Rutgers should pull out a win in a close game, 16-10."

Josh Meyers, contributing writer: "Rutgers 23, Iowa 17. I think this game will be as gritty as they come. In front of a Scarlet SHI Stadium, Rutgers gets the win. (Head coach Greg Schiano's) “keep chopping” mantra hits home for each quarter as the Scarlet Knights edge out one of their best wins in recent years."

Gideon Fox, contributing writer: "Rutgers and Iowa are set to play in the punter matchup of the century. Expect more punts than points. Rutgers wins this 13-10. Yes, that’s a lot of field goals and safeties."

Eddie Kalegi, contributing writer: "Rutgers 15, Iowa 13. It will be a defensive battle under the lights at SHI Stadium. Special teams play will be key, with both teams having elite punters but questionable kicking. It will really come down to who can be most clutch on both sides of the ball, and with the crowd on their side, the Scarlet Knights will do just enough to begin 2022 with a 4-0 record."

Abhay Bethur, contributing writer: "Iowa wins 16-13. Both offenses haven’t been all that good to start the season while both teams have had strong defenses. Iowa wins a close defensive game."

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.