Rutgers men's soccer defeats Rider for 1st win of September

The Rutgers men's soccer team held off in-state rival Rider, remaining undefeated at Yurcak Field this season. – Photo by Rutgers Men's Soccer / Twitter

On Friday, the Rutgers men’s soccer team defeated Rider 2-1. The win extended the Scarlet Knights’ (2-1-2, 0-0-0) unbeaten streak to three games and kept them undefeated at Yurcak Field on Busch campus. 

In the 36th minute, following a pass between two defenders from senior forward MD Myers, junior midfielder Jason Bouregy dribbled down the field and unleashed a shot from right outside the box that found the bottom left corner of the net, giving Rutgers a 1-0 lead.

Three minutes later, Bouregy returned the favor, dribbling down the field before passing it to Myers, who found himself one-on-one with the goalie. Myers slotted the ball past the goalie and into the bottom right corner. By the time halftime rolled around, the Knights led 2-0.

Rutgers pressured the Broncs (0-4-0, 0-0-0) for the whole first period. The Knights had five shots and did not allow a shot on goal in the first period. They also had five corner kicks and three fouls in the first period compared to Rider's one corner kick and seven fouls.

The Broncs got back into the game in the 51st minute when Adel Al Masude scored a free-kick goal right outside the box to half Rutgers' lead. 

In the 74th minute, Rider found itself in a similar situation with a free kick at the edge of the box. This time though, sophomore goalkeeper Aurie Briscoe made a save to keep the Knights’ lead at 2-1. This was the last big chance of the game as Rutgers closed it out and won 2-1, giving the Knights their first win of September.

The second period was more evenly played. Rutgers had one more shot than the Broncs in the second period and both goalkeepers had two saves. Corner kicks and fouls were also even in the second period as both teams got two corner kicks and both teams committed seven fouls.

Myers' goal marked the third game in which he scored and the 5th goal of his 2022 campaign. Bouregy's goal was the second of his career and his first for the Knights.

Rutgers filled up the stat sheet against Rider. The program tallied nine shots on the game, five shots on goal and seven corner kicks. Briscoe also made two big saves on the night.

The Knights will look to keep the momentum going when they play Albany at Yurcak Field on Tuesday night. The game is set to kick off at 7 p.m.

For updates on the Rutgers men's soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.