Rutgers football hosts Wagner in home opener on Saturday

The Rutgers football team will look to build upon its success from last week against Wagner on Saturday. – Photo by Rutgers Football / Twitter

After a gutsy performance to claim the program's first victory of the season, the Rutgers football team will host a game at SHI Stadium on Busch campus for the first time in 2022 when the team faces off against Wagner on Saturday. The Scarlet Knights (1-0, 0-0) will look to build off of their momentum after using a 96-yard drive to defeat Boston College by 1 point.

“We just have so much to do,” said head coach Greg Schiano. “It's almost overwhelming, but we just have to keep chopping. That's what chopping is. Just chop the moment, whatever we're working on right now.”

One of the biggest questions going into week two is the situation at quarterback. With senior quarterback Noah Vedral being held out of the opener with an injury, Rutgers rotated snaps between sophomore quarterbacks Gavin Wimsatt and Evan Simon. The rotation could still be in play for the matchup with the Seahawks (0-1, 0-0).

“Neither one of those quarterbacks have played a substantial amount of football, so you're getting to see it just as we are,” Schiano said. “When are you going to name a starter? You know, again, when it gives us the best chance to win.”

While the passing offense presents a lot of questions, the Knights will hope for more of the same from their rushing game after gaining 212 yards on the ground in week one. Their defense also played a large part, creating three turnovers that resulted in 12 points. 

Wagner comes into this game after dropping its season opener to Fordham 48-31. The team's defense had a tough time, giving up more than 500 yards and three unanswered touchdowns late in the game, sealing its fate. Nick Kargman emerged as the starting quarterback, throwing for 218 yards and two touchdowns while also committing two turnovers. 

Rutgers will face off against the Seahawks at 4 p.m. on Saturday. The Knights will wear a patch with the initials “REM” to honor former Athletics Director Robert Mulcahy, who passed away earlier this year. Rutgers is 44-20 against non-conference opponents under Schiano.

“We have a base, but we have to correct these mistakes,” Schiano said. “It's a challenge. It's going to be a race. Right now time is our enemy. We don't have enough time to get it all fixed, but we're going to try.”

For more updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.