No. 19 Rutgers field hockey set to face Michigan State, Delaware

The No. 19 Rutgers field hockey team is set for weekend matchups against Michigan State and Delaware. – Photo by Rutgers Field Hockey / Twitter

The Rutgers field hockey team is set to start its conference play this weekend in East Lansing, Michigan. The No. 19 Scarlet Knights (3-3, 0-0) will take on Michigan State this weekend to kick off their season against fellow Big Ten opponents. 

The Spartans (3-1, 0-0) are one of the few unranked opponents that Rutgers gets to face this year. Michigan State is coming off of a road loss against Stanford on September 4, but having been off the field for so long seems to give a bit of an advantage to the Knights even though they are on foreign turf. 

The Spartans, though having faced fewer and less threatening opponents, have had impressive offensive stats through their first few matches.

Georgia Davies leads Michigan State with seven assists, ranking her second nationally for assists per game. Alongside Davies, Ellie Rutherford and Emma O’Neill have 3 goals apiece, leading the category for the Spartans.

Monique Jardell is in net for Michigan State with an impressive 0.92 goals against average and .789 save percentage. Jardell has a season-high of six saves which she collected against Stanford.

After the team's meeting in Michigan, Rutgers will return to Piscataway to host Delaware on Sunday. 

The Blue Hens (1-5, 0-1) have struggled so far, collecting their only win against VCU where they shut out the Rams (3-2, 0-0) for a 2-0 final score. Before the team faces the Knights, Delaware will be meeting with No. 8 Princeton today, a team that Rutgers fell to just last week. 

The Blue Hens are led offensively by Noelle Sabbagh. Sabbagh has earned 3 goals and an assist to total 7 points. 

Despite its current record, Delaware holds the all-time series lead against the Knights, having won 20 games and tying three times in 33 meetings between the programs.

Rutgers has won 3 of the last 4 meetings with the Blue Hens, having won two straight. Sophomore midfielder Lucy Bannatyne has had a goal in each of the last two meetings.

The Knights will take on the Spartans today at 1 p.m., with streaming taking place on Big Ten Network+. Sunday’s game against Delaware will not be available for streaming, but live stats will be available for both games. Rutgers will take on the Blue Hens at 1 p.m. at the Bauer Track and Field Complex on Livingston campus.

For more updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.