No. 15 Rutgers field hockey splits ranked in-state matchups over weekend

The No. 15 Rutgers field hockey team went 1-1 in two matchups against ranked in-state opponents this weekend. – Photo by Rutgers Field Hockey / Twitter

The Rutgers field hockey team went 1-1 this weekend against fellow New Jersey programs Monmouth and Princeton. The No. 15 Scarlet Knights (3-3, 0-0) took their first road victory but suffered a loss at home against the No. 17 Tigers (2-2, 0-0) today. 

Rutgers took on the No. 25 Hawks (2-3, 0-0)  in Long Branch on Friday, defeating them in a double-overtime shutout. Sophomore goalkeeper Sophia Howard got the nod in net once again for the Knights, getting her fifth consecutive start and third consecutive shutout. Howard faced only two shots on goal, making both saves. 

Graduate student midfielder Marique Dieudonne scored the lone goal for Rutgers in the second overtime. Less than 2 minutes into the second overtime, Dieudonne scored off of a rebound and ended the game, giving the Knights their first road victory as well as another ranked win. 

The program was not as lucky in its second match of the weekend. Rutgers took on Princeton, back on home turf today at noon. 

After a slow start to the game, scoring picked up in the second quarter. The Tigers netted 2 goals within 5 minutes of each other thanks to Sammy Popper and Claire Donovan. Princeton went on to score again in the third, and then once more in the fourth, cementing its lead over the Knights. 

Howard faced 10 shots on goal from the Tigers, making six saves. 

Despite its efforts, the Rutgers offense could not keep up, putting nine shots on goal. One shot did manage to get past Princeton’s Robyn Thompson, but time was running low, and the Knights could not even up the game. 

Dieudonne scored the lone goal for Rutgers, making the final score 4-1 in favor of the Tigers.

Although the Knights took a home loss against Princeton, they are looking ahead into a new week against new opponents. 

Rutgers will see its first look at conference play this Friday in East Lansing, Michigan, against Michigan State. The Knights will also meet No. 24 Delaware at Bauer Field on Busch campus next Sunday. Both games will be available on Big Ten Network+ for streaming.

For more updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.