EDITORIAL: Self-care routine is important to minimize stress

The Daily Targum's editors share their self-care routines to beat the Sunday scaries

Giving yourself time to relax and recharge is vital to being successful. – Photo by Maddi Bazzocco / Unsplash

In a busy environment, it is always important to stay centered by finding things you enjoy that are restorative to your physical and mental health. The Daily Targum's editors reflect on their self-care routines for making it through the semester.

Isabella Tyszka, editor-in-chief: “With the semester starting, dedicating some time for self-care is life-changing. There are a lot of ways to do so, but my favorite method is making myself a giant cup of tea and laying in bed either with a good book or with my laptop to catch up on my favorite shows. It's good to metaphorically turn your brain off for a little while sometimes.”

Victoria Yeasky, managing editor: “In terms of self-care, I try to do a lot of little things to keep me sane and happy. Going on long walks is definitely my favorite thing to do to unwind. I also really love listening to new music, cooking, spending time with my roommates, watching YouTube and getting all cozy in bed. I’m naturally a pretty anxious person, so doing all of these things helps keep me grounded!”

Astha Lakhankar, head news editor: “For self-care, I like to watch movies, take walks outside and treat myself to a nice cup of hot cocoa. I try to do at least one thing that makes me happy every day. It reminds me that there are so many beautiful little feelings in the world that I can experience even when I’m overwhelmed.”

Kithmy Wickramasinghe, associate news editor: “As the semester gets busy, I make time for myself to relax by reading, watching a movie or even just catching up on sleep. I also like journaling to write down my thoughts and plan out my workload for each week, so I don't forget anything important. Journaling also acts as a creative outlet, which is very fun.”

Claire Bruno, associate news editor: “On days when the weather is nice, I love taking walks to unwind during my free time. Otherwise, I also love making coffee or baking new recipes to clear my mind and also watching movies with friends.”

Ricky Suta, opinions editor: “I generally try to stay active to release any stress or anxiety. Sundays seem to be my self-care day. I usually get up around 8 a.m., go to the gym, maybe do some yoga, then I enjoy taking a cool shower and just relaxing a bit. I also make Target runs on Sundays, just to destress and buy too many candles. On Sunday evenings, I focus on my skin care, by doing my weekly face mask and by trying to get to bed earlier. These things really center me and make me feel super prepared for the week.”

Dylan McCoy, head sports editor: “As the semester begins to consume most of my time, I look to the world of sports to keep me sane. This autumn, I’ll be watching the NFL every Sunday, Monday and Thursday while also keeping a close eye on the MLB playoffs and Aaron Judge’s chase for history.”

Jack Bisaha, associate sports editor: “One thing I always like to do to de-stress is play basketball. I played in high school and throughout my entire life, so whenever I get an afternoon or evening free, I look to go and play for a few hours.”

Vy Nguyen, head copy editor: “My roommate just got us porch furniture, and having the freedom to sit out there with a caramel iced latte with oat milk from Hidden Grounds, maybe with a book, just as the seasons are changing has been incredible for my mental health. I love porches. Doing anything leisurely on a porch feels like self-care, so will do everything on the porch. Live, love, porch.”

Henry Wang, photography editor: “My self-care routine is usually making time for myself early in the day. I wake up and get sunlight while exercising outside. I think a morning routine is very important because it gives me the momentum and energy to take on challenges later in the day.”

Chris Kim, head video editor: “The most helpful thing for me has been journaling and writing out all my thoughts. I've found that when times get really stressful, it helps to write out all the things that are bothering you. Once I've done that, I like to take a step back and see what I can do to move forward in a different direction.”

Meredith MacLean, inside beat editor: “My way of unwinding is definitely to spend time with friends, whether it’s going out for dinner and drinks with friends from Rutgers or watching a movie on the phone with friends from far away. When I’m not in the headspace of interacting with other people, making myself a favorite snack and settling in with a good book or a comfort show is also a great way to unwind — my favorite go-to for feeling better is 'Bob’s Burgers,' though right now I’m obsessed with 'Abbott Elementary.'”

Rachel Chang, social media editor: “This semester has already been pretty crazy, but prioritizing some dedicated time to myself has been so important. Working out at the gym has been a great outlet for stress, as well as enjoying my time to do my multi-step skin care routine at night!”

The Daily Targum's editorials represent the views of the majority of the 154th editorial board. Columns, cartoons and letters do not necessarily reflect the views of the Targum Publishing Company or its staff.