2022's MTV VMAs prove they're still significant to music

Blackpink's Lisa was just one of the winners of the night at an iconic MTV Video Music Awards ceremony.  – Photo by VMA / Instagram

The annual MTV Video Music Awards took place recently at the Prudential Center in Newark, New Jersey, and it was anything but boring.

The award show featured performances from some of music’s biggest names right now, including artists like Lizzo, Jack Harlow, Blackpink, Dove Cameron, Conan Gray and Bad Bunny.

Let’s take a look back at the star-studded event and recap some of the most important moments of the night.

First, let’s discuss one of the top highlights of the whole show: Nicki Minaj winning the Michael Jackson Video Vanguard Award. This award is a highly coveted achievement, being awarded in the past to some of music's greatest talents, such as the Beatles, David Bowie, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Britney Spears, Beyoncé, Kanye West, Rihanna and Missy Elliott, to name a few.

Minaj is the most recent winner of this historic award, and she was completely deserving of it. If anything, she was given this award many years too late.

Minaj is one of the most influential artists in history and has truly changed the trajectory of both rap and pop music, creating the perfect middle ground between the two genres.

Labeled “the Queen of Rap,” Minaj has truly made her way up in the music industry from nothing, walking the path of the greats before her like Missy Elliott and Lauryn Hill, and opening new doors for current artists like Doja Cat and Megan Thee Stallion.

Her performance was out of this world phenomenal and did not disappoint, as per usual. She truly is and has been a force to be reckoned with, and that was made even more clear after her historic medley performance of her greatest hits.

Another standout moment of the night was Taylor Swift’s announcement of her brand new album “Midnights,” coming out on October 21.

While giving an acceptance speech for winning Video of the Year for the short film “All Too Well: The Short Film,” Swift shocked fans with the surprise announcement of her new studio album, which is dropping in a month.

Those present at the awards show as well as fans online began to frenzy in excitement, as this is now the third album in a row that Swift is surprise-dropping with little to no warning.

Other highlights of the night include Dove Cameron winning the Best New Artist award, giving thanks to her queer fans for helping her openly LGBTQ+ song, "Boyfriend" become a hit.

Before the show began, we got to witness some phenomenal fashion moments on the red carpet. Swift showed up to the red carpet, shocking fans, and stunned in a playfully sheer-yet-covered crystal Oscar de la Renta dress.

Fans found the look to be reminiscent of the scene from Swift’s 2017 music video for “Look What You Made Me Do” where she is in a bathtub, covered in diamonds and wearing her signature red lip.

Lizzo stunned in a billowing dark navy blue Jean Paul Gaultier gown, completing the look with slicked back hair, sheer blue gloves and a dark blue lip.

The girls of Blackpink looked gorgeous, with each girl wearing the brand that they individually represent. While they were all wearing different designers and had different vibes going on with their own outfits, they looked beautifully cohesive and elegant together as a four-piece. 

One of my personal favorite looks of the night was Sabrina Carpenter in Moschino. Carpenter wore a black halter neck gown adorned with bright colored sequined flowers and cutouts at the waist area, tied together with a thick black headband and her signature wavy blonde locks. Overall, the look was giving a retro 70s vibe, and she looked absolutely stunning.

Two honorable mentions go to Lil Nas X, who stunned in a black feathered ball gown silhouette and headpiece by Harris Reed, and Chloe Bailey, who looked absolutely ethereal in a silver gown by Zigman, adorned with sequins, mesh-covered cutouts and a bodice reminiscent of a corset.

Overall, it was a must-see event, and I’d expect nothing less from one of the biggest nights in music. The night included multiple historical moments for both music and pop culture and will not be forgotten for years to come.