U. investigates harassment of Jewish students at Alpha Epsilon Pi fraternity on Friday

The University is investigating an incident on Friday afternoon that involved currently unidentified individuals targeting the Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPi) fraternity due to its members’ Jewish identities. – Photo by Alpha Epsilon Pi / Instagram

The University has recently received multiple reports regarding the harassment of Jewish students at the Alpha Epsilon Pi (AEPi) fraternity, according to a University-wide email alert.

The incident took place on Friday afternoon and involved currently unidentified individuals who allegedly targeted the fraternity due to its members’ Jewish identities.

The Rutgers University Police Department (RUPD) is currently investigating the incident, according to the email.

Chancellor-Provost Francine Conway said that the University will increase security patrols around the affected building and counseling is available to students who have been affected by the incident.

“We understand and are sensitive to the concerns of those who were targeted and stand by our Jewish students, faculty and staff,” she said. “Harassment based on religious belief, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation or for any reason, is antithetical to our values at Rutgers University.”