These food tips will help you stay full, focused during that finals season slog

Whether it's a delicious sandwich or some minty fresh gum, these finals food tips will give you something to chew on. – Photo by Eaters Collective / Unsplash

With students in the middle of finals, energy is an important concept to master to keep themselves motivated and well-rested. Along with sleeping, eating is one of the most important activities Rutgers students must do in order to keep themselves well.

Fruits and vegetables help to elevate your studying experience, and strawberries and blueberries are easy to eat and provide much-needed nutrients almost instantly. Keeping a fruit bowl by your desk creates an easy-to-reach snack that is both healthy and good for you.

Pineapples are another delicious fruit that should be added to the mix as they are filled with vitamin C, which is essential for growth and development and for preserving your immune system. They’re also filled with antioxidants, which significantly reduce the risk of chronic diseases.

While most college students are likely afflicted by an addiction to caffeine, coffee does have numerous health benefits if used responsibly. Coffee helps people focus and stay alert, which is crucial for mental awareness while studying for and taking exams, and it helps with depression if taken moderately.

Caffeine is also a stimulant, which improves alertness and awakeness. Coffee also helps to make studying easier by helping you focus on a singular task, and in a world filled with distractions, that can be extremely helpful.

On the heartier side, a bacon, egg and cheese or similar sandwich allows you to take a break from studying to eat and also provides a cohesive but short meal. Sandwiches are easy to package, simple to make and open up endless possibilities of toppings and variations to suit any dietary specifications.

Lemon water is also a wonderful beverage to aid in digestion, and depending on any added sweetness, it creates a refreshing end to your meal to prepare you for your next task.

If you chew gum while studying for a specific subject and chew the same flavor while taking a final, this can improve recollection and help you better process information. Chewing gum helps improve learning and test-taking performance, and students typically feel more alert. Chewing also raises your blood pressure and heart rate, which wakes up your brain and improves your ability to focus.

Water is another essential to studying, and it contrasts against most of the sugary and processed foods served in the dining halls and most restaurants.

Water is refreshing and has multiple health benefits. Your brain is strongly influenced by your hydration levels, and losing just 2 percent of your body’s water content can significantly impair your performance. Your daily activities cause you to lose water naturally throughout the day, and not replenishing it leads to being less productive.

Cake is a wonderful treat for post-finals relaxation, and while its health benefits are questionable at best, it serves as a reward for the hard work and stress that the semester brings.

Eating cake helps build muscle and strength as eggs and milk serve as a great source of protein. The flour and sugar act as carbohydrates, which provide your body and brain with energy. The healthy boost of energy will feel reassuring after your work has been completed, and it serves as a present to yourself for the accomplishments and sacrifices made through the stress of exams and assignments.

No matter what you eat, finals are still an incredibly difficult time for students. The stress, work and personal commitments make it difficult no matter what, but treating yourself to healthy and specific foods makes the cycle of exam-taking easier and less stressful.

Being well-rested and maintaining a healthy diet is key to your success as a student, and mixing fruits and vegetables with more sugary foods prioritizes balance in one’s life and an easier road to success.