Rutgers softball wins 1 of 3 games in weekend series against Penn State

Junior infielder Payton Lincavage and the Rutgers softball team broke their losing streak in yesterday's win over Penn State. – Photo by Mike Carlson / Scarletknights

The Rutgers softball team broke its losing streak in its series finale against Penn State yesterday. The Scarlet Knights (24-26, 2-15) are back in the win column after taking game three of the series against the Nittany Lions (27-17, 9-6) after dropping the first two games.

Rutgers was the first to score in Friday’s opener. A three-run homer from junior catcher Katie Wingert gave the Knights an early lead in the bottom of the first. The Rutgers pitching staff kept the Penn State offense quiet for most of the game.

Scoring from both teams halted until the sixth inning, when the Nittany Lions would take the lead. Penn State got on the scoreboard with a walked in a run and then a hit by pitch that made the score 3-2. A two-run single from Ally Kurland gave the visitors the edge to make the final 4-3.

Saturday’s game also went to the Nittany Lions in a five-inning matchup. The Knights were shut out by Penn State’s Kylee Lingenfelter, only recording two hits from junior shortstop Kyleigh Sand and junior outfielder Taylor Fawcett. The Nittany Lions kept their scoring to just the second and third innings. 

Lilia Crouthamel got things started with a triple that knocked in two runners. A walk by junior pitcher Ashley Hitchcock in the third widened their lead. Crouthamel was the star of the game for Penn State. At her second at-bat, she hit a grand slam that sealed the deal for the Nittany Lions win, making the final 8-0.

Rutgers finally broke out of its losing streak yesterday for the series finale. The Knights used a power surge to take the win, hitting multiple home runs in the game. A solo shot from junior infielder Payton Lincavage put Rutgers on the board in the first.

Sophomore outfielder Kayla Bock homered down the right-field line in the second, bringing home two. Penn State’s sole run came in the sixth off of a single from Lauren Marcotte. The Knights were able to hold on, coming out with the 3-1 victory over the Nittany Lions.

Rutgers will be back in action this weekend when the team travels to Indiana to face Purdue. Game one is scheduled for a 5 p.m. start on Friday. All games will be available on Big Ten Network+ to stream.

For more updates on the Rutgers softball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.