No. 4 Rutgers men's lacrosse wins record 12th game in comeback over Penn State

Junior attacker Ross Scott secured the Rutgers men's lacrosse team its best record in program history with his game-winning goal in overtime against Penn State. – Photo by Ben Solomon / Scarletknights.com

The Rutgers men’s lacrosse team completed a wild comeback to defeat Penn State on Senior Day yesterday. An overtime game-winner from junior attacker Ross Scott capped off the comeback for the 15-14 win and earned the No. 4 Scarlet Knights (12-2, 4-1) a program-record 12th win in the regular season.

“It was a great win in a toughly contested game,” said head coach Brian Brecht after the win. “I’m very proud of the whole team.”

Rutgers traded blows with the Nittany Lions (3-10, 1-4) in the first half, ending the first quarter tied at 3. The Knights trailed 8-7 in the final 3 minutes of the second quarter before getting back-to-back goals from senior midfielders Tommy Coyne and Brennan Kamish.

Rutgers went into the break up 9-8.

Penn State responded out of halftime with a 4-0 run in the first 8 minutes of the third quarter to take a 12-9 lead, the team's largest lead of the afternoon. A pair of goals from Scott and sophomore midfielder Shane Knobloch got it back to a 1-goal game as the quarter came to an end.

The deficit went back to 3 goals as Jake Morin and Mark Sickler scored to make it 14-11 with 10:42 to play. 

The Knights needed a scoring run, and they got it as senior attackers Ronan Jacoby and Brian Cameron both scored within a 93-second span to make it a 1-goal game.

Still down 1 goal in the final minute, Rutgers would have one last possession to potentially tie the game. The ball ended up in Scott's stick, who converted an unassisted goal with just 8 seconds left in regulation to send the game into overtime.

Scott then delivered the sudden-death winning goal with 2:21 left in the overtime period as Knobloch found him at the far left post for his fourth assist of the day.

“We did a really good job of staying strong and pushing back against them,” Scott said. “I was lucky enough to be in a good situation on that game-winning goal.”

In addition to Scott tying his career-high with 5 goals, senior attacker Mitch Bartolo scored a hat trick while Knobloch had a career-high 6-point day with 2 goals and four assists. Seven different Knights found the net as Rutgers outshot the Nittany Lions 51-42.

The Knights also controlled both the faceoff and ground ball battles, winning 17 of 31 faceoffs while earning a plus-10 margin on ground balls collected. Senior goalkeeper Colin Kirst had 8 saves in the win.

With a program-record 12-win regular season in the books, Rutgers now has a week off with a bye into the Big Ten Tournament semifinals in College Park, Maryland. The program will play the highest-seeded quarterfinal winner.

For more updates on the Rutgers men's lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.