Students discuss new U. finance website, budget plans

A new website provides information about the University's budget and endowment. – Photo by Rutgers.edu

On Feb. 18, University President Jonathan Holloway delivered a budget address to the University Senate and announced the creation of a new website meant to make information about the University's finances more accessible to students, faculty and staff.

Stephanie Yepez, a School of Engineering senior, said that the website could be helpful to field questions about tuition and other costs.

She said that during the initial stages of the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, she was confused as to why her tuition for remote instruction was similar in cost to tuition for in-person classes. This website would have been useful to access during that time, Yepez said.

Sean Hewlett, a School of Engineering senior, said he has previously faced difficulties when dealing with financial aid services at the University.

Specifically, he said that last semester he sent a check to the financial aid office and never received confirmation that they received it. After the deadline for the payment had passed, Hewlett sent another check to the office, he said.

Eventually, he was able to call the office who confirmed they had received the first check but would need a $60 administrative fee to void it due to the additional check he sent, Hewlett said. 

“We had no clue what was going on with that check. They had it in the office the entire time. It took them literally 3 minutes on the call to check to see if they had it, so I know they could have reached out to us at the very least,” he said.

Hewlett said that the official way to contact the University’s financial aid services is through an inquiry form, but he had to search for the number independently to call the office and address his issue. 

Yepez said that more points of contact should be added to the website to further assist students with accessing financial aid and term bill information. Existing resources such as the One Stop Student Services Center on Busch campus should be linked on the website as well, she said.

Shania Arora, a School of Arts and Sciences first-year, said that while financial aid services at the University are fairly accessible, they are difficult to understand and navigate.

“One of my friends needed more financial aid than what she was given, and it took her months for her to get in contact with people.” they said. “They finally gave her more … it took her a long time, and she had to constantly fight for (financial aid).”

With regard to the website’s content, Maahum Yousuf, a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences junior, said she would like to see more funding go toward resources for students such as meal plans and scholarships.

“I’d like to see more (funding) going toward feeding students who don’t have meal plans and who can’t afford meal plans,” she said.

Maahum Yousuf said the University should also invest in improving residence halls by adding better air conditioning, especially for first-year halls, and supplying free menstrual products in bathrooms.

In addition to physical facilities, Rutgers should also put more funding toward strengthening their virtual infrastructure, specifically improving Wi-Fi quality on campus, she said.

Najaah Yousuf, a School of Engineering first-year, said that given the size of the student body and the amount of tuition it raises, she expects the University to be in a far better state.

Specifically, she said she expected faculty and staff salaries to be far higher. Less than $700,000,000 goes toward employee salaries at Rutgers—New Brunswick, according to the University’s 2021 and 2022 budgets. Najaah Yousuf said this is not enough given the amount of work that faculty and staff do.

She said she has witnessed how much effort her professors and University staff have put into their work, which is often not recognized by students.

“(Dining staff) are trying their best, there are so many students on (the College Avenue campus),” Najaah Yousuf said. “Obviously, they are going to be having limited options because they are really overworked and underpaid.”

Najaah Yousuf said she would also be interested in further exploring the website as she is passionate about how the University’s finances interact with members of the Rutgers community. She said that while she has the privilege to not worry about costs such as tuition, many other students do not have that experience.

Editor's Note: This article was updated to clarify the amount that goes toward employee salaries at Rutgers.