Piscataway Police Chief Thomas Mosier faces 2nd lawsuit for charges of harassment, discrimination

Thomas Mosier, chief of the Piscataway Police Department, is currently facing a lawsuit with charges of discrimination and harassment. – Photo by Piscataway Township Police Department / Twitter

On March 10, a female lieutenant in the Piscataway Police Department filed a lawsuit against Police Chief Thomas Mosier, according to an article by MyCentralJersey.

In the lawsuit, Constance Crea, who joined the Department in 1996 and became lieutenant in 2019, alleged that she was the victim of harassment and discrimination due to her sexual orientation.

The chief allegedly "engaged in a pattern and practice of behavior of sexual harassment, discrimination, hostile work environment, preferential treatment and failing to comply with his own policies" for the duration of Crea’s career, according to the article.

This is the second lawsuit that has been filed against Mosier this year, as in January, officer Alan Barboiu filed a suit for harassment and discrimination by Mosier due to his status as a U.S. citizen born in Romania.

The most recent lawsuit includes a list of instances in which the chief allegedly yelled, hung up on her phone calls, was disrespectful and made other rude comments, according to the article.

Crea said that these comments were made due to her gender and sexual orientation and ultimately resulted in her deciding not to take the test that could have her be promoted to captain.

The lawsuit states that Mosier favored the Department’s heterosexual female officers in regard to promotion opportunities and work flexibility. Sexual harassment also took place but went unreported by Crea due to worry about retaliation, according to the article.

Crea said these comments and instances have created a hostile environment and caused stress and embarrassment, according to the article. The allegations will be investigated via an internal affairs investigation within Middlesex County.

"The chief treats heterosexual female officers entirely differently than he treats (Crea), a homosexual," the lawsuit states. "The chief's conduct is predicated upon the plaintiff's sexual orientation and gender and is discriminatory.”