Office of Career Exploration and Success says post-pandemic student job market continues to thrive

Job opportunities are plentiful for students through platforms like Rutgers Handshake, according to faculty members from the Office of Career Exploration and Services. – Photo by Rutgers.edu

Following the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic, employers have not been deterred from hiring students for jobs and internships, according to faculty in the University’s Office of Career Exploration and Success (CES).

Len Garrison, associate director of University Career Services at the School of Management and Labor Relations, said that the entry-level job market for the fields of human resource management and labor and employment relations remain strong.

He said that there has been a demand for entry-level recruiters, compensation and benefits professionals, human resources coordinators, administrators, organizers, administrators and data coordinators.

“Students have been more willing to negotiate job offers because of the strength of the market,” Garrison said. “Several students are getting multiple offers providing them more confidence in the negotiation process.”

He said that students are not motivated by salary when considering job offers — instead, they are interested in remote opportunities which offer more flexible and convenient work arrangements.

James King, senior director of the Rutgers Business School Office of Career Management, said that the delay in applying for opportunities is actually due to students rather than employers. 

"Employers have been contacting the (Rutgers Business School) career office with opportunities asking for help in filling openings," King said. "However, students have been slow in responding and applying to the opportunities."

Students must utilize career office resources to update resumes and practice interviewing to improve their chances of securing a job or internship, he said.

He said that many employers are continuing to implement virtual recruiting processes and have even extended their recruiting period, which typically ends in the fall, into the summer.

King said that there are more than 2,500 jobs and internships available on the Rutgers Business School career management system along with Rutgers Handshake, which also has many job and internship opportunities.

Kaitlyn Weiss, associate director for CES strategic outreach, said that Rutgers Handshake is the primary career management platform for students to access job and internship opportunities and other career-related services, which include career/internship fairs, career development programs, on-campus jobs and more.

"All students are encouraged to activate their Rutgers Handshake account, select up to five career communities and complete their profile,” Weiss said. "By completing your profile you will receive targeted email communications for events, job listings and resources.”

CES also continues to offer in-person and virtual recruiting services for students and employers including employer information sessions, virtual career fairs, interviewing programs and more, she said.

She said that students can also receive virtual career advising through the Career Studio which accepts drop-in appointments.

"Whichever method you prefer, we can assist you with interview prep, negotiation tips, your resume, cover letter, LinkedIn profile and much more.” Weiss said. “We even have our own job offer evaluation tool to assist you in finding the job that is best suited for you.”

Other CES resources include post-graduation survey results, which note the top hiring employers, average salaries post-graduation and top schools for furthering education. 

William Jones, executive director of CES, said that undergraduate and graduate students who are seeking job or internship opportunities are encouraged to schedule an appointment with a career community advisor.

“While 8 percent of Rutgers-New Brunswick students graduating at the height of the pandemic in 2020 reported having a full-time job offer rescinded, the job market for students in this recruiting cycle continues to improve dramatically,” he said. “Employers are posting more opportunities, increasing the number of information sessions they are hosting with the Office of Career Exploration and Success and are creating more schedules at career fairs than in the past.”