Let's get scary: Try these horror movies for your next thrill-watch

Lupita Nyong'o stars in "Us," an instant horror classic bound to fill your nightmares. – Photo by Us / Twitter

Horror movies are truly a classic staple in modern society. They help bring fear, excitement and shock to people’s everyday lives, transporting them to a different world where they’re being chased by a rampant serial killer. Although that may sound unenjoyable to many, it’s a form of thrill that millions of people seek out on a regular basis.

Throughout the past few decades, horror movies have vastly grown in popularity. Due to evolving technology that helps with the use of special effects, movies have become much more realistic, making horror stories much more believable. That's one of the reasons why I prefer horror movies from recent years over the older cult classics — although those are phenomenal as well.

From classic supernatural stories to eerily realistic thrillers and some sprinkles of comedy, here are some of the best horror movies you need to watch immediately.

"Carrie" (2013)

“Carrie,” a classic Stephen King story, is truly a superior horror movie. I recommend the 2013 version starring Chloë Grace Moretz and Julianne Moore due to both their outstanding performances and the extremely realistic CGI and special effects used in the film. “Carrie” truly is a cult classic, and I believe this remake really does the story justice.

“Carrie” illustrates the life of teenager Carrie White (Moretz) who lives with her extremely religious mother, Margaret White (Moore). Margaret is extremely protective over Carrie and does not let her do things that other teenage girls usually do.

Due to Carrie’s extremely sheltered upbringing, she's tormented by other kids in school for being different. Throughout the film, Carrie begins to learn she has supernatural telekinetic powers, which fuels her mom to believe that she's the devil.

The movie then follows Carrie’s story and her struggle to be a normal teenage girl, which is met with backlash from both her mother and the popular kids at school. All of the bullying eventually leads to Carrie wreaking havoc at her school’s prom as revenge for the constant torment she has faced.

“Carrie” is a truly heartbreaking story with many moments of heartwarming love, catastrophe and sorrow. “Carrie” is available to stream for $3.99 on multiple platforms such as Amazon Prime Video, YouTube and Apple TV.

"Us" (2019)

“Us” is a 2019 horror-thriller flick by award-winning director Jordan Peele who also directed the 2017 hit film “Get Out.” “Us” showcases a phenomenal storyline and amazing performances from an ensemble cast of actors.

“Us” follows the story of Adelaide, played by Lupita Nyong’o, her husband Gabe and their two children Zora and Jason, played by Winston Duke, Shahadi Wright Joseph and Evan Alex, respectively.

In the film, Adelaide and her family go on vacation to her childhood beach house. While at the home, she begins to feel a growing sense of anxiety that something bad is going to happen, harkening back to a traumatic experience she had in the house growing up.

Suddenly, Adelaide's nightmares become reality as four masked strangers prey upon their house, forcing them to fight for their lives. Soon after, the strangers reveal their identities, shaking Adelaide and her family to their cores while they fight for survival.

“Us” is a shocking and twisted tale that will have you on the edge of your seat throughout the whole film. “Us” is available to stream for $3.99 on YouTube, Apple TV and Google Play Movies & TV.

"The Purge: Election Year" (2016)

“The Purge: Election Year” is the third movie in “The Purge” series, and it really is the best one out of them. All of “The Purge” movies offer a plethora of jump scares and thrills, but “The Purge: Election Year” takes the cake in regard to the plot and story arc of the film.

“The Purge: Election Year” came at a time when former President Donald J. Trump had just recently entered office, and this movie works to make some form of critique about his presidency. In addition to its real-life commentary, “The Purge: Election Year” features an outstanding cast, phenomenal writing and a brilliant story.

“The Purge: Election Year” follows Sen. Charlie Roan, played by Elizabeth Mitchell, a Liberal presidential candidate who is promising to abolish the annual Purge if she is elected into office. When she was a teenager, she witnessed her family get killed in front of her eyes during the Purge, so she wants to do everything in her power to get rid of the annual event.

Charlie's push to ban the Purge has led to extreme disdain from many members of the general public who love the annual event. The film follows her experience during the Purge as many people attempt to assassinate her, showing her fight for survival on the country’s annual night of legal murder.

Additionally, we get to follow the stories of a plethora of other characters, all played by an outstanding ensemble cast. Eventually, each character comes together to fight the Purge and survive through the night.

“The Purge: Election Year” is available to stream on multiple platforms such as Hulu or Amazon Prime Video for $3.99.

"Happy Death Day" (2017)

“Happy Death Day” is a fantastic comedy-horror flick, perfect for those who need a little laughter to lighten the mood after watching a darker horror film. Directed by Christopher Landon and starring a phenomenal cast of actors, “Happy Death Day” is a must-see.

“Happy Death Day” follows self-centered college student Tree Gelbman (Jessica Rothe) who is living in a “Groundhog Day” like reality. We follow Tree on her birthday as she's living her normal life — until the end of the day when she gets brutally murdered by a stranger wearing an unsettling baby mask.

As soon as Tree gets killed, she immediately wakes up and is forced to relive the same day over and over again. The only way she can break the cycle is if she discovers who her killer is and what their motive may be.

“Happy Death Day” is a phenomenal thriller that will keep you on the edge of your seat while also providing laughs throughout the film. “Happy Death Day” is available to stream on multiple platforms such as Hulu or YouTube and Amazon Prime Video for $3.99.

Whether you want political commentary or a good laugh along with your horror experience, there's bound to be something on this list, or within the horror genre, for you. Go forth and be scared!