Forty-six percent of New Jersey residents support sending more US troops to Ukraine, Eagleton poll finds

In New Jersey, individuals across partisan lines show similar levels of support for sending U.S. military forces to fight against Russia's invasion of Ukraine, according to an Eagleton Institute of Politics poll.  – Photo by Rutgers.edu

A recent Eagleton Institute of Politics poll found that 46 percent of New Jersey residents support sending additional American military forces to fight against Russia's invasion of Ukraine, according to a press release.

The poll found that in New Jersey, 52 percent of Democrats and 51 percent of Republicans support deploying more U.S. troops into the Eastern Europe region.

Support for American military action in Ukraine increases with age and education level, according to the release.

“Ukraine is one of the few issues where respondents mostly agree nowadays, including across partisan lines,” said Jessica Roman, a research associate with the Eagleton Center for Public Interest Polling (ECPIP).

The poll also found that approximately three-fourths of New Jersey residents believe that the U.S. should play at least a minor role in resisting the invasion.

Individuals with household incomes of $100,000 or greater were more likely to support the U.S. playing a major role in assisting in the conflict, according to the press release.

Ashley Koning, an assistant research professor and director of ECPIP, said that overall, New Jersey residents are more likely to support the U.S. taking an active stance with regard to the invasion.

“New Jerseyans mostly echo national views on the U.S.’ role when it comes to Russia’s invasion of Ukraine,” she said. “But with New Jersey having one of the largest Ukrainian populations in the country, residents here are slightly more likely than Americans nationwide to want to see the U.S. play a major role in the conflict and send additional troops.”