COMMENTARY: Support Rutgers, give during Rutgers Giving Day

Commentary

Rutgers Giving Day gives you the power to decide where and how to support the University.  – Photo by Georgette Stillman

What would you do if I told you that, with $5, you could help Rutgers help the world? 

On March 23, you can do just that by taking part in Rutgers Giving Day. #RUGivingDay is a 24-hour event where the Rutgers community will come together to celebrate our scarlet pride.

Once a year, students, alumni, faculty, staff and friends show their support on Rutgers Giving Day by making a gift to their favorite schools and programs, ensuring that Rutgers can achieve excellence in everything we do.

And on Rutgers Giving Day, there are lots of ways to join in and earn money for your favorite causes, both online and on campus, through events, giving challenges, activities and more.

Through philanthropic donations of all sizes, supporters of the University make a difference. Donors have stepped in to help students facing crises through the Rutgers COVID-19 Response Fund, provided essential aid through Scarlet Promise Grants for students who faced dropping out of school.

Donor generosity has also ensured that Rutgers can offer student support services, fund service opportunities, power research, open new facilities, support our student-athletes and more. No matter your connection to the University, there is a Rutgers Giving Day fund for you.

Philanthropy is something that everyone can and should take part in — even students. With donor support, we benefit from study abroad programs, academic grants, professional development and even student organization funding.

Annual gifts from our community are essential because they fill the gap in funding our experience after tuition, fees and state support. You can give back to the organizations and programs that have helped you as a student by making a #RUGivingDay gift.

Rutgers Giving Day is the best opportunity for our community to support Rutgers because each gift combines with support from thousands of others to amplify our impact. Every gift, even one of $5, can help transform the Rutgers community.

During last year’s Rutgers Giving Day, more than 8,400 donors came together to give nearly $3 million to causes across our community. Tomorrow, there is no better way for you to make a difference than to give back to a program that is meaningful to you.

What is truly remarkable about Rutgers Giving Day is that you can directly support the organizations and departments that you care about. You control where your contributions go, whether that is to the Student Emergency Fund or your favorite student organization.

In the past, I have donated to student organizations I am a part of like the Rutgers University Mock Trial Association and the Rutgers Future Scholars Emergency Relief Fund. This year, I will make my gift to eradicate hunger on campus by supporting the Rutgers Student Food Pantry.

Even better, your support is amplified on Rutgers Giving Day due to the many giving and social media challenges that allow programs and causes to earn additional award money. You can be strategic about when you make your gift, post on social media using #RUGivingDay and rally others to join in to make an even bigger impact this year. 

As a member of the Rutgers University Alumni Association Scarlet Council, a student organization that educates our community on the importance of philanthropy, I know firsthand that student donations make an impact.

It is why I choose to donate each year. If you are on campus tomorrow, please visit the #RUGivingDay headquarters at Livingston Student Center to take part in the festivities and learn more about the impact of philanthropy on the university. Once there, you can make a gift, play games, win prizes and hear from student organizations that benefit from Rutgers Giving Day contributions. Do not worry — there will be food, too!

This Rutgers Giving Day, join the entire Rutgers community and consider making a gift to help Rutgers help the world. To learn more or get involved, visit givingday.rutgers.edu.