Caleb McConnell named semifinalist for Naismith Defensive Player of the Year

Senior guard Caleb McConnell continues to impress on the defensive end of the court, being named a semifinalist for the Naismith Defensive Player of the Year. – Photo by Olivia Thiel

Senior guard Caleb McConnell of the Rutgers men’s basketball team was recently selected as a semifinalist for the 2022 Naismith Defensive Player of the Year. McConnell is 1 of 10 players who were nominated for the award’s shortlist and the only player from the Big Ten.

The Naismith Defensive Player of the Year is an award given out to college basketball’s best defensive player. Named in honor of James Naismith, last year’s winner was Baylor’s Davion Mitchell. The winner will be announced on April 3.

McConnell is well deserving of the recognition. Through 28 games, Florida, native averages 2.32 steals per game and has accumulated 65 total steals, both conference bests. To showcase how far ahead McConnell is in the steals category, Alonzo Verge Jr., who is second place, is 21 steals behind McConnell.

This lead was helped by a recent stretch of games where the senior had four or more steals in four consecutive games. Since the beginning of February, McConnell has compiled 23 steals.

In addition to the stats, McConnell has several memorable defensive plays this season. Down 4 points with 2:29 remaining against then-No. 16 Ohio State, McConnell chased down Malaki Branham for a game-saving block that helped the Scarlet Knights (16-12, 10-8) seal the comeback victory on Feb. 9.

“(McConnell) is a dog,” said junior guard Paul Mulcahy after Rutgers’ Feb. 12 win over Wisconsin. “No one works harder than him in our program. He is 6 foot 7, guards the best player every single night, and he doesn't complain, he just competes. He doesn't get a lot of (publicity), but he just competes. I firmly believe he is the Defensive Player of the Year.”

McConnell’s impact on the defensive end transcends stats as he routinely takes the toughest defensive assignment and succeeds in limiting that player’s impact. 

Looking back to the Knights’ victory over then-No. 1 Purdue, Sasha Stefanovic, who is one of the top three-point shooters in the Big Ten, finished the game with 9 points on 30 percent shooting.

In the two games against the No. 10 Badgers (23-5, 14-4), McConnell matched up against Johnny Davis, who is regarded as a National Player of the Year candidate. In those two games, Davis shot 37.9 percent.

“Every time (McConnell) goes out of the game, I have a little sigh of relief knowing that I don’t have to have someone like that tailing me around,” Davis said.

McConnell will look to keep up his strong defensive play as Rutgers makes its last push toward postseason play this week. Against Indiana, McConnell will try to help slow down a Hoosier (18-10, 9-9) offense that is top five in the Big Ten in field goal percentage.

For proof that McConnell’s teammates think their teammate deserves defensive accolades, check out this video.

For updates on the Rutgers men's basketball team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.